Re: Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

  • scast101
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 15, 2013
      Thx for the insight. These are made for cheap ACX. I'll need to fill some voids before painting. One thing I noticed is the thaT planing/sand took away sof wood rwteen the harder ridges on the plywood surface. I'm hoping not to have to fill and fair the entire blade surfaces. How mush will it matter.

      Thx in advance!

      Steve

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown <dannyb9@...> wrote:

      > steve those blades look quite well shaped for a sailing skiff, way more shape than traditional boats. 'back in the day' i raced sunfish and their blades were much more simply shaped. flat surfaces with taper confined to about 1 1/2" from the edges. when the 'naca foil shaped' composite blades came out, we all got them, but the difference in performance was minimal, usually not noticeable. a smooth surface was considered more important. i'd just smooth with 80 grit, (maybe 120 after that if youre obsessive) and paint em. 2-3 coats and sand lightly between coats. then you can wet sand with fine grit auto body paper if you want to be obsessive.
      >

      > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      > From: scast101@...
      > Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:40:22 +0000
      > Subject: [Michalak] Steve's Mayfly 14 Build
      >

      > All work and no play has left little time for boat building, but I did manage to get rudder and leeboard blades roughed out. Here they are sanded to 60 grit. I'm wondering if these look like they are sufficiently faired or if more meat needs to come off?
      >
      > http://stevebuildsaboat.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/blades-roughed-out/
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Steve

    • a5eptfyqmknybj3jibe7uwk5g55zy4zjkp7nlte7
      Message 97 of 97 , Oct 13 7:18 AM
        Hi Steve,

        Its been a few months since I cut out my side panels but I had some issues (maybe similar) as well.  Turns out that I missed a note on the plans about the placement of the line that meets the transom.  Something like most stations were 24" apart except that transom station that was shorter, perhaps 20".  Unfortunately don't have the plans in front of me so I can't tell you exactly.

        Of course this might be unrelated to your situation.  I did not find my mistake until I began measuring to see if I had enough space to draw out the aft bulkhead and transom as shown on the plywood cut out diagram. Luckily I didn't cut out the side panels yet so I was able to correct.  I learned a lesson from this.

        Best of luck.