RE: [Michalak] Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 95 , Jun 15 8:35 AM
      steve those blades look quite well shaped for a sailing skiff, way more shape than traditional boats. 'back in the day' i raced sunfish and their blades were much more simply shaped. flat surfaces with taper confined to about 1 1/2" from the edges. when the 'naca foil shaped' composite blades came out, we all got them, but the difference in performance was minimal, usually not noticeable. a smooth surface was considered more important. i'd just smooth with 80 grit, (maybe 120 after that if youre obsessive) and paint em. 2-3 coats and sand lightly between coats. then you can wet sand with fine grit auto body paper if you want to be obsessive.

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: scast101@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:40:22 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

      All work and no play has left little time for boat building, but I did manage to get rudder and leeboard blades roughed out. Here they are sanded to 60 grit. I'm wondering if these look like they are sufficiently faired or if more meat needs to come off?

      http://stevebuildsaboat.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/blades-roughed-out/

      Thanks!

      Steve

    • scast101
      Message 95 of 95 , Jul 31, 2014
        I've posted a couple of post-launch photos and short video clip of relaxed sailing. I've had it out 4 times and am please with the Mayfly's preformance.

        Thanks for looking.

        Steve

         A Few Images