Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

  • scast101
    Message 1 of 97 , Jun 15, 2013
      All work and no play has left little time for boat building, but I did manage to get rudder and leeboard blades roughed out. Here they are sanded to 60 grit. I'm wondering if these look like they are sufficiently faired or if more meat needs to come off?

      http://stevebuildsaboat.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/blades-roughed-out/

      Thanks!

      Steve
    • a5eptfyqmknybj3jibe7uwk5g55zy4zjkp7nlte7
      Message 97 of 97 , Oct 13
        Hi Steve,

        Its been a few months since I cut out my side panels but I had some issues (maybe similar) as well.  Turns out that I missed a note on the plans about the placement of the line that meets the transom.  Something like most stations were 24" apart except that transom station that was shorter, perhaps 20".  Unfortunately don't have the plans in front of me so I can't tell you exactly.

        Of course this might be unrelated to your situation.  I did not find my mistake until I began measuring to see if I had enough space to draw out the aft bulkhead and transom as shown on the plywood cut out diagram. Luckily I didn't cut out the side panels yet so I was able to correct.  I learned a lesson from this.

        Best of luck.