Re: Registering a homemade boat in IL?

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
      As has been mentioned, each state differs.

      In Kansas, to register I must make an affidavit that I have paid sales
      tax on the materials. I simply write out a statement saying where I got
      the materials (mostly in state), and that satisfies the state government
      that I've paid my tax (accurately, as it happens). Receipts would be
      good, I suppose, but I don't find myself capable of the task (esp. given
      the many years it takes me to finish a larger boat).

      No one should pay taxes on a boat built with tax-paid materials. Sorry
      folks in Alaska, Delaware, Oregon, Montana, and New Hampshire--you're stuck!