Re: [Michalak] Registering a homemade boat in IL?

  • David Calloway
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 8, 2013
      Here in California, it's pretty much the same procedure for a home built
      boat. To register for USCG documentation, the boat has to be at least 25
      feet, and have a rating of 5 tons. Not weigh 5 tons, but have an interior
      large enough to carry 5 "tuns". A tun is a barrel of 250 gallons, and was
      used to rate vessels in days of sail. Coincidentally, a tun weights roughly
      2000 pounds when full of rum. :-) Dave

    • JeffreyM
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2013
        Here in Mass the Environmental Police (responsible for boat registration) didn't quite know what to make of me when I decided I wanted to be able to carry a motor on my Core Sound 20. The procedures in place are seldom used. In the end, an officer visited my home, took a look at the boat, and slapped a hull number on it. Only then did the fun begn: scraping together whatever receipts I had for materials (3 years later, and me no kind of organized), then making multiple trips to the downtown office until they were satisfied what I owed in taxes for stuff ordered from out-of-state. Finally I got my registration. Of course, now I can't afford a motor. And I have neglected to point out that the boat, described in the paperwork as open, now sports a cabin. I've already decided never to register my Jewelbox Jr, since I'm STILL not organized, even though it could benefit even more from a motor than the CS20.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, richard laux <rkldude@...> wrote:

        >  Here in Louisiana it is done with the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. They are not only wanting to see any receipts that you have for materials purchased (tax purposes) but in so having said receipts, you are also providing proof that the boat was not stolen and that you are not trying to pull a fast one. We have a use tax line on our tax forms that everyone should be filling out and paying the tax on items purchased online. I do not and will not pay tax a second time if taxes have been payed to another state, i.e. when I go to Texas to purchase marine ply. I registered a boat a couple of months ago and the W&F guy was as nice as could be and did not overscrutinize any paperwork. He wanted copies of what I had to place in the file for this particular boat and took pictures for the said file.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2013
          I may be a little late in responding but when I have registered my homebuilt boats here in Illinois I just filled out the Application For Title form and they sent me a title. In the section for Manufacture I wrote in Homebuilt. I believe if the boat exceeds a certain length they require that you pay tax on the value of the boat. Although I would think the resale value of a wooden homebuilt boat would be very low. No more than a couple of hundred dollars. Here is a link to the form.

          http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Documents/WatercraftRegistrationTitle.pdf

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Curran Bishop <curranb79@...> wrote:

          > Hi all, I'm finally ready to register the AF4 with IL, but they really have
          > no process for registering a boat you built... and they don't answer the
          > phone.
          >
          > Does anyone know if you pay both the "NEW" fee and the "US Coast Guard
          > Documented" fee? And do you pay for a duplicate title (since there is no
          > original)? Ditto duplicate registration card and decals?
          >
          > Also the DMV gave me form RUT-75 which is for made a "non-retail purchase"
          > of a watercraft; but I didn't make a non-retail purchase, so I'm not sure
          > if this applies (DMV gave me blank stairs when I asked)... What have others
          > done with this process before?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > --
          > Curran Bishop
          > 1005 W. Willow St.
          > Carbondale, IL 62901
          > phone: 70.pastor.10 or 618.305.5725
          > http://thebishopspulpit.blogspot.com
          >
          > " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
          > 'er we try the depth of sea,
          > egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
          > unless Thou her helmsman be."
          > -- Old Scottish Prayer

        • OnEvenKeel
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
            Above 16' demands use tax

            On Jun 9, 2013, at 10:03 PM, "Chris" <chrisbfeller@...> wrote:

            > I may be a little late in responding but when I have registered my homebuilt boats here in Illinois I just filled out the Application For Title form and they sent me a title. In the section for Manufacture I wrote in Homebuilt. I believe if the boat exceeds a certain length they require that you pay tax on the value of the boat. Although I would think the resale value of a wooden homebuilt boat would be very low. No more than a couple of hundred dollars. Here is a link to the form.
            >
            > http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Documents/WatercraftRegistrationTitle.pdf
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Curran Bishop <curranb79@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all, I'm finally ready to register the AF4 with IL, but they really have
            > > no process for registering a boat you built... and they don't answer the
            > > phone.
            > >
            > > Does anyone know if you pay both the "NEW" fee and the "US Coast Guard
            > > Documented" fee? And do you pay for a duplicate title (since there is no
            > > original)? Ditto duplicate registration card and decals?
            > >
            > > Also the DMV gave me form RUT-75 which is for made a "non-retail purchase"
            > > of a watercraft; but I didn't make a non-retail purchase, so I'm not sure
            > > if this applies (DMV gave me blank stairs when I asked)... What have others
            > > done with this process before?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > --
            > > Curran Bishop
            > > 1005 W. Willow St.
            > > Carbondale, IL 62901
            > > phone: 70.pastor.10 or 618.305.5725
            > > http://thebishopspulpit.blogspot.com
            > >
            > > " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
            > > 'er we try the depth of sea,
            > > egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
            > > unless Thou her helmsman be."
            > > -- Old Scottish Prayer

          • Thomas Hamernik
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
              Also - they tax based on purchase value, not resale value.  For a home built, they wanted the value be the value of the materials.

              ________________________________
              I may be a little late in responding but when I have registered my homebuilt boats here in Illinois I just filled out the Application For Title form and they sent me a title. In the section for Manufacture I wrote in Homebuilt. I believe if the boat exceeds a certain length they require that you pay tax on the value of the boat. Although I would think the resale value of a wooden homebuilt boat would be very low. No more than a couple of hundred dollars. Here is a link to the form.

              http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Documents/WatercraftRegistrationTitle.pdf

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Curran Bishop <curranb79@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, I'm finally ready to register the AF4 with IL, but they really have
              > no process for registering a boat you built... and they don't answer the
              > phone.
              >
              > Does anyone know if you pay both the "NEW" fee and the "US Coast Guard
              > Documented" fee? And do you pay for a duplicate title (since there is no
              > original)? Ditto duplicate registration card and decals?
              >
              > Also the DMV gave me form RUT-75 which is for made a "non-retail purchase"
              > of a watercraft; but I didn't make a non-retail purchase, so I'm not sure
              > if this applies (DMV gave me blank stairs when I asked)... What have others
              > done with this process before?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > --
              > Curran Bishop
              > 1005 W. Willow St.
              > Carbondale, IL 62901
              > phone: 70.pastor.10 or 618.305.5725
              > http://thebishopspulpit.blogspot.com
              >
              > " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
              > 'er we try the depth of sea,
              > egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
              > unless Thou her helmsman be."
              > -- Old Scottish Prayer

            • Chris Crandall
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2013
                As has been mentioned, each state differs.

                In Kansas, to register I must make an affidavit that I have paid sales
                tax on the materials. I simply write out a statement saying where I got
                the materials (mostly in state), and that satisfies the state government
                that I've paid my tax (accurately, as it happens). Receipts would be
                good, I suppose, but I don't find myself capable of the task (esp. given
                the many years it takes me to finish a larger boat).

                No one should pay taxes on a boat built with tax-paid materials. Sorry
                folks in Alaska, Delaware, Oregon, Montana, and New Hampshire--you're stuck!