Re: Mayfly 14 Seats

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
      I have found that to be a problem as well. In my experience a hull with
      some flare like Mayfly really helps as you can lean back as the knees
      are raised. I have found a boat cushion under also helps and better yet
      a folding stadium type seat that has a soft back cushion as well. If the
      wind gets up one still has the option of removing it and even getting on
      the bottom. It really helps me if I change my position often so the
      joints don't lock up. And having a sail that reefs quickly and easily.
      You can also lie flat on the bottom with the cushion uer the head for a
      stretching break:-)

      I also have some stretching exercises recommended by a chiropractor and
      some basic yoga moves as well. To be done *before* going out sailing
      though. When canoeing I just put ashore and do some as well.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "simonfbroad" wrote:

      > Ross Lillistone, I believe it is, says there is only two places to sit
      in a small dinghy - on the floor or on the gunwales.

      > And whilst I see the sense in this, my old legs and aged back are
      disinclined to either of those options, unfortunately.

      > I have the plans for the the Mayfly 16, just waiting to be built, and
      the seats Jim shows there are very close to the floor anyway.
      > Several of his essays on his designs make mention of not raising the
      weight of the bulk of your ballast (i.e. the crew) too high because of
      the effect on stability, even just a few inches.