Re: Was - Help with MAYFLY 14 Build - Now Plywood Qualtiy.

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
      John, just to clarify this is what I said: Even a "1088" stamp means
      nothing. Not quite the same thing as you refer to.

      I recall a post on another group that a fellow bought some Meranti and
      it had "1088" stamped on it and he found it to be crap compared to what
      he expected..

      I totally agree that dealing with reputable plywood store is the best
      way to go and if in doubt just buy one sheet and test it yourself. If it
      fails, don't build a boat with it. If it has a beautiful exterior then
      check the edges. If the outers are paper thin and inner is darker in
      color and thicker then I won't even bother with it. Voids in the glue
      lines are just as critical as voids in the plies and my testing has
      shown starved glue joints as I think the softer inner core absorbs a lot
      of the glue, and when tested the outer plies will either separate or
      wrinkle.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" wrote:

      > Looking for MDO made in the US or Canada is a good dtart, but even Oly
      > Panel makes lower grades of MDO. Their Crezon has good quality plies,
      but
      > may have one small inner ply void per sheet, their Signal, which I
      haven't
      > seen in the flesh yet, is said to have no voids.
      >
      > "BS 1088" and "BS 6566" are British standards, and have nothing to do
      with
      > Lloyds, though Lloyds probably requires BS 1088 for their best
      ratings.
      > I'd heard that the British Standards aren't enforceable outside the
      > Commonwealth, or whatever you guys call it nowadays, but if BS 1088
      means
      > nothing in Canada I guess I'm mistaken. At any rate, just because a
      > plywood has "BS 1088" on it, it doesn't mean it could pass the British
      > standards...
      >
      > http://www.worldpanel.com/bs1088.htm
      >

      > Meranti plywood can be very good, as can Lauan. The trouble we have
      with
      > cheapo lauan underlayment has to do with the manufacture of the
      plywood,
      > not the species used. The best bet for getting good plywood or MDO is
      > buy the stuff made by a reputable manufacturer. If the manufacturer's
      name
      > isn't on the plywood, or the seller can't show you where he got it,
      the
      > stuff probably isn't worth taking a risk on. When buying MDO, get one
      of
      > the better grades.
      >
      > On Fri, 31 May 2013 18:35:40 -0700, Nels wrote:
      >
      > > John,
      > > You are dead on in your comments.
      > > My local seller is Windsor Plywood and their supplier is from a
      Canadian