Piccup Pram Knees

  • wildgoosebtvt
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2013
      I feel like I must be missing something. I am finding no direction besides one sentence about the corner knees while constructing the piccup pram. Is the information somewhere and I am just not seeing it? Should I just already know how to do this? What type of wood should I use?

      Thanks!
    • wildgoosebtvt
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2013
        I feel like I must be missing something. I am finding no direction besides one sentence about the corner knees while constructing the piccup pram. Is the information somewhere and I am just not seeing it? Should I just already know how to do this? What type of wood should I use?

        Thanks!
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2013
          Directions suggest 3/4 inch block 6X6 inches. As for wood used I used pieces of pine that I had laying around from other projects. JM states that on some of the build details he leaves the info kind of general on purpose I believe to give the individual builder some leeway and more detailed on other areas that were more critical.
          The main purpose behind the knees is to give the wales something to be anchored to and help tighten up the hull. So that you don't get frustrated with the build just think of it as one of the areas that you can experiment with. It's almost like putting a brace in the corner of a frame to tighten it up. Try to place the wood so that the end grain is not the side you are screwing the wales into.Hope that helps. Good luck with your build.
          regards,
          Mike
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wildgoosebtvt" <wgussin@...> wrote:

          > I feel like I must be missing something. I am finding no direction besides one sentence about the corner knees while constructing the piccup pram. Is the information somewhere and I am just not seeing it? Should I just already know how to do this? What type of wood should I use?
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2013
            I just uploaded three pictures of my piccup's knees. If you click on new photos you should see them .Otherwise go to Mike's piccup pram in photo albums and they will be the last three photos. Hope that helps.
            Mike

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wildgoosebtvt" <wgussin@...> wrote:

            > I feel like I must be missing something. I am finding no direction besides one sentence about the corner knees while constructing the piccup pram. Is the information somewhere and I am just not seeing it? Should I just already know how to do this? What type of wood should I use?
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Andre Basso
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2013
              Besides knees there will be other parts where you'll have to figure out
              how to go on. At least that was my case based on an experience of a
              first time builder.

              Expect to have doubts:

              - finding the angle of the mast step.
              - how exactly do the leeboard mounts.
              - how to shape the skeg.

              and much more.

              IMHO half of the fun on building your own boat lies on discovering how
              to do this things.

              And this wonderful group is here to help us !

              keep us posted about your progress.

              All the best,

              Andre

              http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br