Re: [Michalak] Re: Sealant

  • john colley
    Message 1 of 23 , May 27, 2013
      I found the stuff always set in the tube before i'd finished with it.Best to use it in one session.Buy as you need it

      -Sigurd Olson

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , May 27, 2013
        I don't understand the point of the screwed-down siliconed decks in the first place. I dutifully did it on my Piccup, but find the insides of the lockers pretty accessible through the big hatches. I haven't needed to do any work inside them. (Although the gunwales I seem to be constantly working on.) If I had it to do over, I'd just glue 'em down with epoxy and be done with it.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Allan" <allanburke45@...> wrote:

        > Andre,
        >
        > Just saw your latest reply & suggest silicone is not a glue & would not use it without permanent screws.
        >
        > Sikaflex291 is a sealant & adhesive.Look at their spec sheet.
        >
        > Also with regard to hatches,keep them simple as per plans & look for a rubber door/window seal at your hardware shop.It comes in a roll with self adhesive backing & you cut off what you need.Use this to seal the hatches.I have had no water come into my storage compartments using this.I used short shock cord tie-downs which screw to the end of he hatch & hook down to a simple catch screwed to the front of the bulkhead.These can be bought in boat supply shops & come as a set.I think this detail is in my photos.Very simple & positive hold-down.
        >
        > I have some finished photos of my Ladybug on Duckworks forum(they seem to have disappeared from this forum) which show hatch detail that might be of help. Look for Ausie Ladybug.
        >
        > Al.
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Nels,
        > >
        > > I prefer the look of the decks without screws. In this case do you think
        > > silicone alone will keep things together ?
        > >
        > > I really like the look of the square ports. But I'm building it per
        > > plans. No double framing.
        > >
        > > Check my progress at
        > >
        > > http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br
        > >
        > > Andre.
        > >
        > > On 26-05-2013 22:46, prairiedog2332 wrote:
        > > >
        > > > In Jim's build book he recommends plain old silicone sealant so the
        > > > decks are removable and just screwed in place. This way the interiors
        > > > of the flotation boxes can be repaired, resealed or repainted. I would
        > > > use finish washers with the screws. Access ports square, small with
        > > > double overlapping framing so no leakage, held down with bungie cords
        > > > in a triangular fashion over a hook. Even some sea kayakers here like
        > > > the bungies added to their expensive kayak access ports. And you can
        > > > stuff items under the bungies as well so items don't fall overboard.
        > > > Kayakers love bungies!
        > > >
        > > > Nels
        > > >
        > > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,

        > > > think. Sika is a Swiss company I believe.

        > > > not want the adhesive to set hard so you can remove the deck or seat or
        > > > whatever down the track to replace it if it has been damaged or to get
        > > > at other parts of the hull for repairs/maintenance.

        > > > around

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 23 , May 29, 2013
          Andre
          Looks great. You got a lot done!let me know how you make out with sealing decks and hatches as that's my next step.

          Regards
          Mike

        • Allan
          Message 4 of 23 , May 29, 2013
            Mike,

            Use Sikaflex291.It's designed to glue & seal but does not set hard so you can slice it off with a sturdy knife if you have to remove decks,seats etc down the track to do repairs.This way you can re-use them.Countersink screws if you want,but you don't really need them to stay in as this stuff really hangs on.Better to use temporary screws till the Sikaflex sets then remove them & fill & fair the holes.Simple.

            This product,& some of its relatives, is used widely in commercial boat building for things like hull to deck joins in fibreglass boats,& mounting winches & other deck hardware so everything can be removed if need be for maintenance/repair.

            I have some pics of the hatch seal on my Ladybug towards the end of a whole stack of pics in Duckworks forum & a pic of the rubber seal product I used that I found in the window seal section of my local hardware store.Never had a drop inside the storage compartments in 3 years of wet sailing.Ladybug is a very wet boat when sailed hard in strong breezes & because she doesn't even look like capsizing I seem to push her harder.Never had to reef.Look for "Ausie Ladybug" by absube(my Yahoo name).

            Al Burke

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

            > Andre
            > Looks great. You got a lot done!let me know how you make out with sealing decks and hatches as that's my next step.
            >
            > Regards
            > Mike
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Nels,
            > >
            > > I prefer the look of the decks without screws. In this case do you think
            > > silicone alone will keep things together ?
            > >
            > > I really like the look of the square ports. But I'm building it per
            > > plans. No double framing.
            > >
            > > Check my progress at
            > >
            > > http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br
            > >
            > > Andre.
            > >
            > > On 26-05-2013 22:46, prairiedog2332 wrote:
            > > >
            > > > In Jim's build book he recommends plain old silicone sealant so the
            > > > decks are removable and just screwed in place. This way the interiors
            > > > of the flotation boxes can be repaired, resealed or repainted. I would
            > > > use finish washers with the screws. Access ports square, small with
            > > > double overlapping framing so no leakage, held down with bungie cords
            > > > in a triangular fashion over a hook. Even some sea kayakers here like
            > > > the bungies added to their expensive kayak access ports. And you can
            > > > stuff items under the bungies as well so items don't fall overboard.
            > > > Kayakers love bungies!
            > > >
            > > > Nels
            > > >
            > > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > > > think. Sika is a Swiss company I believe.

            > > > not want the adhesive to set hard so you can remove the deck or seat or
            > > > whatever down the track to replace it if it has been damaged or to get
            > > > at other parts of the hull for repairs/maintenance.

            > > > around

          • Dennis Mcfadden
            Message 5 of 23 , May 30, 2013
              I used 291 at the recommended sealant / adhesive to attach plexiglas windows in a one sided window frame. They were secured in position until the 291 set. A year later the plexi was falling out and I had to redo them. This time I left the ss bolts in place. There may have been an issue of different rates of expansion / contraction but the elasticity of the 291 should have handled that IMO ..

              Dennis

              To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
              From: allanburke45@...
              Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:07:38 +0000
              Subject: [Michalak] Re: Sealant

> [...]

              > > > decks are removable and just screwed in place. This way the interiors

              > > > of the flotation boxes can be repaired, resealed or repainted. I would

              > > > use finish washers with the screws. Access ports square, small with

              > > > double overlapping framing so no leakage, held down with bungie cords

              > > > in a triangular fashion over a hook. Even some sea kayakers here like

              > > > the bungies added to their expensive kayak access ports. And you can

              > > > stuff items under the bungies as well so items don't fall overboard.

              > > > Kayakers love bungies!

              > > > Nels

              > > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,

              > > > think. Sika is a Swiss company I believe.

              > > > not want the adhesive to set hard so you can remove the deck or seat or

              > > > whatever down the track to replace it if it has been damaged or to get

              > > > at other parts of the hull for repairs/maintenance.

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 23 , May 30, 2013
                Thanks Alan,
                The local WM store has it and the sikaflex 291 Adhesive and Sealant says its for sealing seams below and above the water. The fast cure version states not for deck seams so I'll stick with the first version

                Regards
                Mike

              • Andre Basso
                Message 7 of 23 , May 30, 2013
                  Mike,

                  I'll try the sikaflex 291 as Al suggested. Still have to glue
                  reinforcements for the forward cleat and for a small outboard attachment
                  that I'm not sure I'll use in the future. Will paint compartments prior
                  to glue decks permanently as well. All that will take me some time.

                  At this point of the build it seems I'll never stop sanding. I'll go out
                  tomorrow after more sandpaper and see If I can find sikaflex 291.

                  All the best,

                  Andre.

                  On 29-05-2013 23:44, Mike wrote:

                  > Andre
                  > Looks great. You got a lot done!let me know how you make out with
                  > sealing decks and hatches as that's my next step.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > Andre Basso <basso.asb@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Nels,
                  > >
                  > > I prefer the look of the decks without screws. In this case do you
                  > think
                  > > silicone alone will keep things together ?
                  > >
                  > > I really like the look of the square ports. But I'm building it per
                  > > plans. No double framing.
                  > >
                  > > Check my progress at
                  > >
                  > > http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br
                  > >
                  > > Andre.
                  > >
                  > > On 26-05-2013 22:46, prairiedog2332 wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > In Jim's build book he recommends plain old silicone sealant so the
                  > > > decks are removable and just screwed in place. This way the interiors
                  > > > of the flotation boxes can be repaired, resealed or repainted. I would
                  > > > use finish washers with the screws. Access ports square, small with
                  > > > double overlapping framing so no leakage, held down with bungie cords
                  > > > in a triangular fashion over a hook. Even some sea kayakers here like
                  > > > the bungies added to their expensive kayak access ports. And you can
                  > > > stuff items under the bungies as well so items don't fall overboard.
                  > > > Kayakers love bungies!
                  > > >
                  > > > Nels
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > > think. Sika is a Swiss company I believe.

                  > you do
                  > > > not want the adhesive to set hard so you can remove the deck or
                  > seat or
                  > > > whatever down the track to replace it if it has been damaged or to get
                  > > > at other parts of the hull for repairs/maintenance.

                  > results.

                  > 291.

                  > is set.

                  > <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > pram ?

                  > > > around

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 30, 2013
                    Andre,
                    I'm going to use the standard 291 not the fast cure.Hoping to paint the compartments this weekend. I'm not doing a motor mount but I am looking to do a reboarding step and have looked at several ideas on the web.
                    You can get a rubber "eraser" at some of the box stores that's about 3inches long and 1 inch wide for cleaning off your sandpaper. It works great and I've used it on my 60 grit disks. I'm convinced I got a lot more use out of the sandpaper with it. If you can't locate it in one of the box stores you can get a smaller version that you can get from an art supplies store or office supplies.
                    Regards
                    Mike

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 31, 2013
                      Al,
                      Thank you. Looked at your pictures on Duckworks. Great boat! really like the way you did the hatches with the hinges. Went to supply store to get the Sikaflex 291 but they only had the fast drying not the regular in stock so will try another one tomorrow for that and the rubber gasket material

                      Regards,
                      Mike

                    • Allan
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 31, 2013
                        Dennis,

                        I think you'll find you need to leave the small bolts in permanently,evenly spaced all round the window frame.I have re-newed plastic windows in a couple of f/glass yachts I've had over the years & re-used the small bolts which have to be tensioned carefully & evenly just enough to see the uncured Sikaflex squeeze out a little to form an even seal all round.

                        Also, perhaps you should have used Sikaflex 295U which is specially formulated for fixing plastic windows & performs a little differently from 291.Have a look at Sika's spec sheets.They have a wide range of products tailored to specific applications.

                        Cheers

                        Al.

                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Mcfadden <dennis-mcfadden@...> wrote:

                        > I used 291 at the recommended sealant / adhesive to attach plexiglas windows in a one sided window frame. They were secured in position until the 291 set. A year later the plexi was falling out and I had to redo them. This time I left the ss bolts in place. There may have been an issue of different rates of expansion / contraction but the elasticity of the 291 should have handled that IMO ..
                        >
                        > Dennis
                        >
                        > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: allanburke45@...
                        > Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:07:38 +0000
                        > Subject: [Michalak] Re: Sealant

                        > Mike,
                        >

                        > Use Sikaflex291.It's designed to glue & seal but does not set hard so you can slice it off with a sturdy knife if you have to remove decks,seats etc down the track to do repairs.This way you can re-use them.Countersink screws if you want,but you don't really need them to stay in as this stuff really hangs on.Better to use temporary screws till the Sikaflex sets then remove them & fill & fair the holes.Simple.
                        >

                        > This product,& some of its relatives, is used widely in commercial boat building for things like hull to deck joins in fibreglass boats,& mounting winches & other deck hardware so everything can be removed if need be for maintenance/repair.
                        >

                        > I have some pics of the hatch seal on my Ladybug towards the end of a whole stack of pics in Duckworks forum & a pic of the rubber seal product I used that I found in the window seal section of my local hardware store.Never had a drop inside the storage compartments in 3 years of wet sailing.Ladybug is a very wet boat when sailed hard in strong breezes & because she doesn't even look like capsizing I seem to push her harder.Never had to reef.Look for "Ausie Ladybug" by absube(my Yahoo name).
                        >

                        > Al Burke
                        >

                        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Andre
                        >
                        > > Looks great. You got a lot done!let me know how you make out with sealing decks and hatches as that's my next step.
                        >

                        > > Regards
                        >
                        > > Mike
                        >

                        > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@> wrote:
                        >

                        > > > Nels,
                        >

                        > > > I prefer the look of the decks without screws. In this case do you think
                        >
                        > > > silicone alone will keep things together ?
                        >

                        > > > I really like the look of the square ports. But I'm building it per
                        >
                        > > > plans. No double framing.
                        >

                        > > > Check my progress at
                        >

                        > > > http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br
                        >

                        > > > Andre.

                      • Dennis Mcfadden
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 31, 2013
                          Al. I have left the bolts in as you suggest and see no reason to remove them. I used the product as recommended by the local well thought of agent. Even the experts can make mistakes ... I will take a look at the product you mention for future use. Thanks,

                          Dennis

                          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                          From: allanburke45@...
                          Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 05:48:17 +0000

> [...]

                          > Al Burke

                          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:

                          > > Andre

                          > > Looks great. You got a lot done!let me know how you make out with sealing decks and hatches as that's my next step.

                          > > Regards

                          > > Mike

                          > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@> wrote:

                          > > > Nels,

                          > > > I prefer the look of the decks without screws. In this case do you think

                          > > > silicone alone will keep things together ?

                          > > > I really like the look of the square ports. But I'm building it per

                        • Allan
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 1, 2013
                            Mate,291 with bolts properly spaced around the edge should be fine.

                            The failure of your first attempt is probably related to prep work.291 is fairly forgiving,but if you take the time to study Sika's tech specs you will see they,like all manufacturers, are strong on correct prep,which is,after all,what we should all aim for.Works out cheaper & less grief in the long run.

                          • Allan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 1, 2013
                              Den,
                              Just had a look at your photos.You're a very neat builder.Great colours & brightwork.

                              Al.

                            • Dennis Mcfadden
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 1, 2013
                                Thank you! I am currently building removable roof complete with sliding hatches. It is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I'll put up pics once it is further along. I like the open slot top but it is not much for trailering or security when it is left in the Walmart parking lot for an hour..

                                Den

                                To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
                                From: allanburke45@...
                                Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 12:18:00 +0000