Re: [Michalak] Lower unit gear oil?

  • Curran Bishop
    Message 1 of 15 , May 26, 2013
      I also meant to add: it only took about 6 oz. of oil--does that seem right?
      I was thinking it should be more.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 27, 2013
        ...And next question:

        I am attempting to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller. I have
        opened the access cover in the 'leg' of the outboard and disconnected the
        shifting linkage, unscrewed the five bolts (four from underneath, on on the
        back from above), and now the lower unit will drop about 1/2" but no
        further. I think I can see the drive shaft through the access door in the
        leg, and it does not move when I wiggle the lower unit up and down (not
        sure if this is pertinent or not). Any ideas?

        --
        Curran Bishop
        1005 W. Willow St.
        Carbondale, IL 62901
        phone: 70.pastor.10 or 618.305.5725
        http://thebishopspulpit.blogspot.com

        " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
        'er we try the depth of sea,
        egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
        unless Thou her helmsman be."
        -- Old Scottish Prayer

      • PolySail_Dave
        Message 3 of 15 , May 28, 2013
          I had one of those old '58 Johnson 35 hp outboards that had a lower unit
          that gave me fits. I thought I had the linkage back in correctly only to
          take it to the ramp and find out that my newly restored mahogany
          runabout would only run in reverse. My memory and my mechanical ability
          aren't strong enough to advise you on a fix, but I do have a suggestion.
          Jim Michalak had a buddy that always showed up at the Midwest Messabouts
          called Max, and he knew everything about repairing old engines. Not too
          long after Jim brought out his book on boatbuilding, Max put one out on
          old outboards. I suggest that you go on Amazon.com and purchase a copy:
          Cheap Outboards: The Beginner's Guide to Making an Old Motor Run
          <http://books.google.com/books?id=ZiX8nU9yDNEC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=old+o\
          utboard+engines+book&source=bl&ots=0d3FUUNhxb&sig=4bs8dw-OukYdOyAW5B2oCo\
          E9YwI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0AqlUYqLC46L0QH0i4G4Cw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCA> Max E.
          Wawrzyniak
          <http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4TSNP_enUS459US459&tbm=bks&q=inautho\
          r:%22Max+E.+Wawrzyniak%22&sa=X&ei=0AqlUYqLC46L0QH0i4G4Cw&ved=0CFIQ9AgwCA\
          > - 2006
          Dave Gray

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Curran Bishop wrote:

          > ...And next question:
          >
          > I am attempting to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller. I
          have
          > opened the access cover in the 'leg' of the outboard and disconnected
          the
          > shifting linkage, unscrewed the five bolts (four from underneath, on
          on the
          > back from above), and now the lower unit will drop about 1/2" but no
          > further. I think I can see the drive shaft through the access door in
          the
          > leg, and it does not move when I wiggle the lower unit up and down
          (not
          > sure if this is pertinent or not). Any ideas?
          >

          > On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Curran Bishop curranb79@... wrote:
          >
          > > I also meant to add: it only took about 6 oz. of oil--does that seem
          > > right? I was thinking it should be more.
          > >

          > > On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Curran Bishop curranb79@...wrote:
          > >
          > >> Thanks all for the advice - I went with the walmart 80w90; I'm
          delighted
          > >> to report that when I drained the old gear oil there were no
          > >> metal particles and no whiteness or creaminess to the color--in
          fact it
          > >> looked new (which makes me wonder if the previous owner changed it
          before
          > >> storage [he told me that when he put it into storage he didn't
          realize he
          > >> would not be using it for a while and hadn't taken precautions...]
          or if he
          > >> changed it before selling it...)
          > >>
          > >> So naturally my next question: the manual says to fill the bottom
          hole
          > >> until lube comes out the top hole, then drain about an ounce to
          allow for
          > >> oil expansion, and put the bottom screw back in--when I pulled out
          the oil
          > >> bottle nozzle with the drain plug screw ready and quickly inserted
          and
          > >> screwed it shut I would estimate that quite a bit more than an
          ounce of oil
          > >> leaked out, and I can't picture how you'd avoid this. Do I need to
          top off
          > >> the top hole?

        • Doug Hall
          Message 4 of 15 , May 30, 2013
            hi,curran when filling the the gear oil the best way is fill from bottom to top when the oil starts to come out put the top plug back in while holding the tube in the lower hole , then remove the tube and replace the lower plug what little oil that leaks out will be plenty for expansion . remember that lower unit is well cooled . as a side the former owner may have used Lubriplate oil in the gearcase which is an off white  in color which makes it hard to detect water .[ not my favorite product ] have a great summer  doug h.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , May 30, 2013
              Thanks Doug! That makes perfect sense - don't know why I didn't think to
              close up the top first.

              The oil that came out when I changed it looked yellowish and like clean,
              new oil.

              I'm thinking I'll actually make the splash down next week at the Rend Lake
              Messabout and, assuming everything works and floats, I think it will be a
              great summer! Same to you!

              Message 6 of 15 , May 30, 2013
                hi curran , re: lower unit not dropping off, it sounds like the drive shaft is frozen in the bottom of the crankshaft not uncommon . there is a small pin that drives the impeller what you will have to do is to pull that pin thru the impeller housing . then with vise grips remove the d/s be sure not to grab the d/s in a bearing area .replace the impeller & hsg. clean the splines on the d/s ,lube the spline [grease] and replace the lower unit.  doug h .

                Message 7 of 15 , May 30, 2013
                  hey curran , wait a min. i just saw a e/m from dave gray and said that engine is a 58  5 1/2 if so the powerhead  has to come off first to remove the shift linkage & there is a series of parts on that end of the d/s to seal water from getting into the bottom of the c/s  .let me know if i can help further . doug h.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 31, 2013
                    No, it's a '58 18 HP. It's been confirmed that it's the pin at the top
                    that I need to align, but I've put it in gear and rotated the prop to align
                    it and can't find where it needs to be. I finally just got it to the
                    mechanic so it'll be functional next week for the messabout...