Re: [Michalak] Re: Folding leeboard/thwart connection

  • Samantha Roberts
    Message 1 of 13 , May 23, 2013
      Nels,

      Glad to help, and I hope it works for you.  Please let us know of any difficulties or success you may have with the idea, and feel free to email me if you want to discuss it further.  I love simple ideas for alternative hardware, such as those you mentioned by Bolger.  Oh, and I love your idea of a simple, inexpensive boat for the kids at the beach!

      BTW, that was a lovely canoe pic you shared... what a wonderful wallpaper for your computer screen!

      -- Sam

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , May 24, 2013
        Sam,
        I was thinking some sort of strap hinge might work. The kind like on
        light gates and shed doors? This link has about a zillion options
        including pintle hinges that might work on a rudder. But I will look
        what the local hardware stores offer.

        http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SPECIALTY+HINGES/Strap+Hinge+-+Dumm\
        y+Strap+Hinges/Light+Duty+Strap+Hinges#
        <http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SPECIALTY+HINGES/Strap+Hinge+-+Dum\
        my+Strap+Hinges/Light+Duty+Strap+Hinges#>

        I have a classic wood and canvas canoe that is in mint condition but I
        would probably use my heavier Royalex 17' er to try sailing.
        I am cutting out profile patterns in cheap plywood for the Tortoise.

        Message 3 of 13 , May 24, 2013
          Great link Daniel. Lots to study.
          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, daniel brown wrote:

          > try http://www.enter.net/~skimmer/ for a view of some sailing canoes.
          we are an esoteric and dedicated group of sailers

        • daniel brown
          Message 4 of 13 , May 24, 2013
            here are some of my "projects"

            https://picasaweb.google.com/115556980337661882670/Canoes?authkey=Gv1sRgCNDMj-TWuIzvNw#

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
            From: nelsarv@...
            Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:16:57 +0000
            Subject: [Michalak] Re: Early sailing canoe designs

            Message 5 of 13 , May 24, 2013
              The canoe I am considering adding the sail to, is almost the same as the
              Malecite. Did you get your rudder fittings from DW?