Re: Sail Plans (Settee)

    Message 1 of 159 , May 23, 2013
      Any idea John as to when a Settee with a longer luff and a shorter yard
      turns into a dipping lug? I guess when some dude decided to "dip" it
      instead of just "set" it? A Settee was still considered a variation of
      the lateen apparently.

      It has also been recorded that the further off-shore the lateen crowd
      ventured the more they tended to lengthen the luff, restricted somewhat
      by weaker sail cloth than the square sail crowd further north
      apparently. The weaker sail cloth also did not work well with the nettle
      reefing method either. So instead of reefing used a second smaller sail
      or three. Of course the junk rig crowd used battens instead and probably
      there was a lot of others eastern sail plans that did as well.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settee_(sail)

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" wrote:

      > BOOMED lateens? Although one can't say that nobody tried a boomed
      lateen
      > -- with the boom and yard meeting at the tack like a Sunfish or Snark
      --
      > before, I'll bet they never got any traction until the canoe cruising
      boom
      > in the late 1800s.
      >
      > On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:20:37 -0700, john c wrote:
      >
      > > They have been the sail of choice in the middle east too.for
      centuries

      > --
      > John (jkohnen@...)
      > A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is a
      > superstition. (Jose Bergamin)

    • John Boy
      Message 159 of 159 , Sep 1, 2013
        Thank you. For some reason, my Chrome browser stopped translating.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android