Re: [Michalak] Re: Normsboat

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 24 , May 23, 2013
      I've been thinking of rerigging HA as a gaffer for a few reasons.  First and foremost, we have some friends who have a Horizon Cat and I have serious boat envy.  The idea is to have a poor man's Horizon Cat.  Second, the Normsboat cabin is a cavern.  I've already moved the mast to the center and moving it forward two feet will give me more room for the berths and hiding from squalls.  I'm thinking of either a vee berth or two pipe berths.  I'm also considering adding a balanced jib and I can do that with a gaff rig.  And last but not least, I think a gaff rig looks cool.

      I'm also thinking of borrowing the tabernacle design from the MusicBox boats to go with the boom gallows.  Amanda and I can rig and launch in 15 minutes, derigging takes longer.  I figure a tabernacle will shave off five minutes at the landing.
      JB

      I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 24 , May 24, 2013
        Two things considered major NO NO's by most sail boat designers are
        changing the location of the sail plan and the underwater leeway
        prevention foils. The sharpie designs of Michalak and Bolger are
        particularly affected because of their shallow draft and that the
        designs call for the bow entry to remain above the water surface, for
        best performance. If the hull goes bow down then the steering becomes
        erratic as does the ability to tack. A tabernacle also adds considerable
        weight in what is already a narrow bow.

        If one has envy for a cat boat and likes the look then one should build
        a catboat. I think the best choice is to add that sail you already
        have:-) Or a
        Schreodinger version of the Chebacco.

        http://www.chebacco.com/ <http://www.chebacco.com/>

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

        > I've been thinking of rerigging HA as a gaffer for a few reasons. Â
        First and foremost, we have some friends who have a Horizon Cat and I
        have serious boat envy. Â The idea is to have a poor man's Horizon
        Cat. Â Second, the Normsboat cabin is a cavern. Â I've already
        moved the mast to the center and moving it forward two feet will give me
        more room for the berths and hiding from squalls.  I'm thinking
        of either a vee berth or two pipe berths. Â I'm also considering
        adding a balanced jib and I can do that with a gaff rig. Â And last
        but not least, I think a gaff rig looks cool.

        > I'm also thinking of borrowing the tabernacle design from the MusicBox
        boats to go with the boom gallows. Â Amanda and I can rig and launch
        in 15 minutes, derigging takes longer. Â I figure a tabernacle will

        Message 3 of 24 , May 24, 2013
          Two things considered major NO NO's by most sail boat designers are
          changing the location of the sail plan and the underwater leeway
          prevention foils.

          Jim has the mast locations for rigging the NB as a gaffer or balanced lug on the plans using the same sail.  The position of the sail doesn't change.  Scott and I have successfully added mizzens to both the Toon2 and NB after consulting Jim.  We just copied what Jim did on the Haps Cut.  It's a winner, too.  You can adjust the mizzen to lessen weather helm and ease tiller pressure.  The really cool thing is it gives the boat an "auto-heave to."  Let go of the tiller and she heads up into the wind and parks.  As far as the weight of the tabernacle goes, assuming southern yellow pine weighs 36 pounds per cubic foot, a tabernacle would add around 25 pounds to the total mast weight at a spot two feet ahead of the current mast position.  Anyway, it'd be an experiment and easily undoable if it didn't work.
          John Boy

          Message 4 of 24 , May 24, 2013
            John,
            Guess I missed where Jim had already offered the gaff plan as an option
            - which of course no longer makes it a No No. A mizzen can be added to
            most of his designs as it doesn't affect the balance much if at all, and
            helps when tacking. I was thinking more the jib and the fact you found
            the cabin to be a cave. So the suggestion of the pilothouse Cat yawl
            Chebacco, which has a jib option.

            I am sure it would look really great with the jib which might require a
            bowsprit as well. And offers the added option of dropping the main and
            sailing with jib and jigger as the Brits say.

            Nels

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

            > Two things considered major NO NO's by most sail boat designers are
            > changing the location of the sail plan and the underwater leeway
            > prevention foils.
            >

            > Jim has the mast locations for rigging the NB as a gaffer or balanced
            lug on the plans using the same sail. Â The position of the sail
            doesn't change. Â Scott and I have successfully added mizzens to both
            the Toon2 and NB after consulting Jim. Â We just copied what Jim did
            on the Haps Cut. Â It's a winner, too. Â You can adjust the mizzen
            to lessen weather helm and ease tiller pressure. Â The really cool
            thing is it gives the boat an "auto-heave to." Â Let go of the tiller
            and she heads up into the wind and parks. Â As far as the weight of
            the tabernacle goes, assuming southern yellow pine weighs 36 pounds per
            cubic foot, a tabernacle would add around 25 pounds to the total mast
            weight at a spot two feet ahead of the current mast position. Â

            Message 5 of 24 , May 24, 2013
              I'm thinking something on the lines of a balanced jib like Reuel Parker has on some of his sharpies.  See page 123 of the Sharpie Book.  They're for light air days like we get down here on the Gulf Coast in the summers.  I can make a removable bowsprit that's not very long.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 24, 2013
                Probably much like Bolger has on his light schooner. Should be fun to
                see how it compares with Fiddlestix.

                http://www.instantboats.com/images/lschoonerprof.gif
                <http://www.instantboats.com/images/lschoonerprof.gif>

                Too bad it won't enlarge. In the top right corner is the drawing for his
                home-made rudder gudgeons.

                Nels
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

                > I'm thinking something on the lines of a balanced jib like Reuel
                Parker has on some of his sharpies. Â See page 123 of the Sharpie
                Book. Â They're for light air days like we get down here on the Gulf
                Coast in the summers.  I can make a removable bowsprit that's
                not very long.Â