RE: [Michalak] Re: Happy Adventure sailing

  • Dennis Mcfadden
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22 5:44 PM
      In the video there is / are hard slot top covers. How did you work around the mast ..? I am building covers / sliding hatches for my Scram Pram and am still scratching my head on that part of the design. I am looking for enlightenment and it has to come pretty soon!

      Dennis

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: puddleduckofdoom@...
      Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:16:54 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Happy Adventure sailing

      Thanks for sharing. That's a very nice looking boat. Both of those Normsboats are nice looking. You know how it is. I always have to be thinking ahead to the next boat.

      Paul

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

      > Here's a link to a short video of Happy Adventure and Fiddlestix, two Normsboats, sailing in Santa Rosa Sound on the way to Navarre Beach, FL.

      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PvhG2t3i4&feature=youtu.be

      > John Boy

      > �

      > I have a blog! � http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

      > ���Seaward ho! Hang the treasure! It's the glory of the sea that has turned my head.����

      > Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

    • tsgosnell
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23 6:39 AM
        The aft a lot top cover just comes off and fits over the forward cabintop when not in use, the mast on both boats are moved to the middle. We didn't plan on walking all the way forward in the cabins, and there is plenty of room to stand in the open part of the cabin and rig. Really worked out nicely so far. I slept in my cabin during the trip, while John rigged a boom tent of sorts and built boards to make the cockpit a big bed. Really that was better, the cabins a little warm. Johns got a walkaround video that shows the details

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGT-SOF-ads

        Scott

        Message 3 of 7 , May 23 6:50 AM
          Seems like you are moving (back) toward a conventional cabin arrangement. I like the idea of the hatch cover fitting forward when not in use. Simple to design and build, gets it out of the way but still close to hand. Thanks for your input, your changes appear to work well . . but doesn't help my current issue with the mast / hatch cover conflict. I'll keep scratching my head!

          Dennis

          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
          From: tsgosnell@...
          Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 13:39:05 +0000

          The aft a lot top cover just comes off and fits over the forward cabintop when not in use, the mast on both boats are moved to the middle. We didn't plan on walking all the way forward in the cabins, and there is plenty of room to stand in the open part of the cabin and rig. Really worked out nicely so far. I slept in my cabin during the trip, while John rigged a boom tent of sorts and built boards to make the cockpit a big bed. Really that was better, the cabins a little warm. Johns got a walkaround video that shows the details

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGT-SOF-ads

          Scott

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Mcfadden <dennis-mcfadden@...> wrote:

          > In the video there is / are hard slot top covers. How did you work around the mast ..? I am building covers / sliding hatches for my Scram Pram and am still scratching my head on that part of the design. I am looking for enlightenment and it has to come pretty soon!

          > Dennis

          > To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

          > From: puddleduckofdoom@...

          > Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 23:16:54 +0000

          > Subject: [Michalak] Re: Happy Adventure sailing

          > Thanks for sharing. That's a very nice looking boat. Both of those Normsboats are nice looking. You know how it is. I always have to be thinking ahead to the next boat.

          > Paul

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy <t1ro2003@> wrote:

          > > Here's a link to a short video of Happy Adventure and Fiddlestix, two Normsboats, sailing in Santa Rosa Sound on the way to Navarre Beach, FL.

          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PvhG2t3i4&feature=youtu.be

          > > John Boy

          > > �

          > > I have a blog! � http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

          > > ���Seaward ho! Hang the treasure! It's the glory of the sea that has turned my head.����

          > > Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

        • John Boy
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23 8:24 AM
            Our covers are notched to go around the mast.  You could make your tops in three or four sections.  Each section could overlap and even slide on top of each other.  You could make plastic bearing surfaces so they'd slide well without scratching the paint.  You can get those 1/8 inch thick cutting boards from the dollar store pretty cheap.  They're easy to cut with a jig saw and you can counter sink them just enough for a #6 SS screw.  Actually, you need to make bearings for your rudder and leeboard out of cutting boards.  Smooth operation and doesn't mess up the 'poxy on the boards.

            Take a look at the pictures of Caprice, Cormorant, and Jewelbox on Duckworks and you'll see what I mean.

            I've never felt the love for the slot top.  Where I sail, I feel more secure with it closed in.  On Fiddlestix's, Scott's NB, first voyage, we were sailing our boats pretty hard to see what they could do.  Scott's wife said she saw Looney Toon's leeboard come out of the water when we rolled a little on a beam gust.

            Happy Adventure has a Mississippi Barrier Island trip in her future.  That trip has 5 to 7 mile stretches of open Gulf of Mexico between the islands.  Then there'll be a trip to the Chandeleur Islands.  That's 30 miles south of Bilioxi with a 12 mile stretch of open water.  In a couple of winters, there will be a trip to the Dry Tortugas, they're 60 miles west of Key West.  And who knows, with the right weather window, in 12 to 16 hours of sailing, Happy Adventure can be in Bimini or West End.

            Nope, poly tarp slot covers aren't for me.
            John Boy

            I have a blog and it ain't up to date!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

            Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

          • Gene Berry
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23 10:25 AM
              John Boy, remember Sail Oklahoma in October, more than a few of us would like to see HA

              Gene Berry