Re: Reefing a Lug Sail

    Message 1 of 44 , May 21, 2013
      Great information John Boy and thanks for sharing. The bronze ring and
      larger blocks I will certainly take into consideration and ain't the
      truckers hitch a great knot?

      Nels
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

      > I've only sailed lug rigs and LOM's and I returned home yesterday from
      the FL120. Â My wife and I sailed our Normsboat about 150 miles over
      five days. Â We went a day early to get a little more sailing in
      before the event. Â We built Happy Adventure in a hurry starting in
      mid February and finishing up, really stopped building, about two weeks
      ago. Â Oil base paint takes awhile to dry you know. Â We borrowed
      the 16 foot mast from my PDGoose, the 91 sqft lug and LOM mizzen from
      Looney Toon, our Toon2.

      > Here's how I do it. Â On my yard I've lashed a 1 1/2 inch bronze
      ring that I pass my halyard through and then clip it on the front of the
      yard. Â For my downhaul I use a trucker's hitch. Â My main is
      polytarp and three years old and pretty much blown out so I had to add a
      vang to try to get some tension in the leech. Â The sucker flapped
      the whole trip. Â Anyway, something to consider is getting some
      larger blocks for the sheets. Â I've been using small Racelite blocks
      from Duckworks. Â They work fine but a friend of mine was parting out
      an old beach cat and gave me a bucket of old blocks. Â A little Reel
      Magic spray and they were as good as new. Â Much faster and less work
      when a gust hits you.

      > I have yet to add jiffy reefing to it. Â One of these days I will.
      Â On HA's first sail we managed to survive winds 25G35 with no reef.
      Â Maybe that's why my main is stretched out. ;)

      > BTW the Normsboat is best described as a baby Dovekie. Â Mine's
      modified in a couple of ways. Â First to the cockpit, I added 6
      inches to the cockpit length and a two foot deep bridge deck. Â I
      opted to leave off the motor well. Â Later on I'll add a trolling
      motor for getting in and out of the landing. Â

      Message 44 of 44 , May 21, 2013