Reefable Lateen Rig?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2013
      It occurs to me that if you want to get a bit more complicated, you can
      make a small balanced lug sail with a row of reef points and when reefed
      it turns into a low aspect ratio lateen rig. This plan shows the
      possibility.

      http://www.storerboatplans.com/Canoebits/KayakRig.html
      <http://www.storerboatplans.com/Canoebits/KayakRig.html>

      If you really want to get fancy, you could add a full length batten and
      jiffy reef lines that actually flatten the sail when used in conjunction
      with a kicking strap which Bolger mentions a lateen rig could benefit
      from. This is an example of taking something that is "Sophisticated
      Simplicity" and complicating it.

      Sorry - should not have had the 2nd cuppa java:-)

    • daniel brown
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2013
        right on, not trying to be fancy or complicated here, simple sophistication is the goal

        Simplicity: The Ultimate Sophistication
        By Joshua Porter
        Originally published: Apr 09, 2007
        Is simplicity a bad design goal?

        Most designers place simplicity above all else. We value simple things because they do all the things we need easily and none of the things we don't. Simplicity is harmonious. Even Leonardo Da Vinci said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." This is one of my favorite quotes, and it plays on the idea that being simple isn't banal, it's elegant.

        To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com