RE: [Michalak] Re: Sail Plans

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 159 , May 20, 2013
      re sunfish racing, the starboard tack with the sail leeward of the mast is maybe faster footing upwind than the sail against the mast (port tack) which may be faster pointing ( sailing a little higher) because the sail is a little flatter because the front of the sail is pressed against the mast. either way, the sunfish is a fast boat for its size and ( sophisticated) simplicity

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: jtrussell2@...
      Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 08:01:50 -0400
      Subject: RE: [Michalak] Re: Sail Plans

      Simon,

      You may be confusing the lateen with the dipping lug sail. The lateen does
      not require moving the sail from one side of the mast to the other. When
      the sail blows against the mast, the mast changes the shape of the sail and,
      in theory, this results in better performance on one tack than the other. In
      practice, this is not noticeable. The lateen rig is used on the ubiquitous
      and highly competitive Sunfish and the "good tack/bad tack" is not an issue.

      JohnT

      _____

      Message 159 of 159 , Sep 1, 2013
        Thank you. For some reason, my Chrome browser stopped translating.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android