Re: [Michalak] Re: Lower unit gear oil?your '57johnson/evinrude/ gale used 90 wt gear oil .

  • Curran Bishop
    Message 1 of 15 , May 19 9:11 PM
      thanks!

      On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM, kicker_fixer <kicker_fixer@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Curran Bishop <curranb79@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm trying to change the lower unit oil and the manual specifies OMC
      > > Premium Blend Gearcase Lubricant (part No. 172820) - but I can't find
      > that
      > > anywhere at any price (I can find it, but with a different part number
      > that
      > > says it's for models from 1962-72--mine's a '57).
      > >
      > > I can find "Premium Lower Unit Gear Lube by Sierra":
      > >
      > http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/SIE-18-9600-2/110005102/Gear+Lube/Premium+Lower+Unit+Gear+Lube+by+Sierra.html
      > > which sounds like the same thing, but says that it replaces "OMC
      > > (System
      > > Matched) Hi-Vis Lubricant."
      > >
      > > Do any of you that have refurbed, old engines know if this is what I'm
      > > needing? Is OMC 172820 a " GL-5 class lubricant"?

      Curran Bishop

    • Curran Bishop
      Message 2 of 15 , May 26 9:33 PM
        Thanks all for the advice - I went with the walmart 80w90; I'm delighted to
        report that when I drained the old gear oil there were no
        metal particles and no whiteness or creaminess to the color--in fact it
        looked new (which makes me wonder if the previous owner changed it before
        storage [he told me that when he put it into storage he didn't realize he
        would not be using it for a while and hadn't taken precautions...] or if he
        changed it before selling it...)

        So naturally my next question: the manual says to fill the bottom hole
        until lube comes out the top hole, then drain about an ounce to allow for
        oil expansion, and put the bottom screw back in--when I pulled out the oil
        bottle nozzle with the drain plug screw ready and quickly inserted and
        screwed it shut I would estimate that quite a bit more than an ounce of oil
        leaked out, and I can't picture how you'd avoid this. Do I need to top off
        the top hole?

        Message 3 of 15 , May 26 10:06 PM
          I also meant to add: it only took about 6 oz. of oil--does that seem right?
          I was thinking it should be more.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 27 9:32 PM
            ...And next question:

            I am attempting to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller. I have
            opened the access cover in the 'leg' of the outboard and disconnected the
            shifting linkage, unscrewed the five bolts (four from underneath, on on the
            back from above), and now the lower unit will drop about 1/2" but no
            further. I think I can see the drive shaft through the access door in the
            leg, and it does not move when I wiggle the lower unit up and down (not
            sure if this is pertinent or not). Any ideas?

            --
            Curran Bishop
            1005 W. Willow St.
            Carbondale, IL 62901
            phone: 70.pastor.10 or 618.305.5725
            http://thebishopspulpit.blogspot.com

            " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
            'er we try the depth of sea,
            egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
            unless Thou her helmsman be."
            -- Old Scottish Prayer

          • PolySail_Dave
            Message 5 of 15 , May 28 12:59 PM
              I had one of those old '58 Johnson 35 hp outboards that had a lower unit
              that gave me fits. I thought I had the linkage back in correctly only to
              take it to the ramp and find out that my newly restored mahogany
              runabout would only run in reverse. My memory and my mechanical ability
              aren't strong enough to advise you on a fix, but I do have a suggestion.
              Jim Michalak had a buddy that always showed up at the Midwest Messabouts
              called Max, and he knew everything about repairing old engines. Not too
              long after Jim brought out his book on boatbuilding, Max put one out on
              old outboards. I suggest that you go on Amazon.com and purchase a copy:
              Cheap Outboards: The Beginner's Guide to Making an Old Motor Run
              <http://books.google.com/books?id=ZiX8nU9yDNEC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=old+o\
              utboard+engines+book&source=bl&ots=0d3FUUNhxb&sig=4bs8dw-OukYdOyAW5B2oCo\
              E9YwI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0AqlUYqLC46L0QH0i4G4Cw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCA> Max E.
              Wawrzyniak
              <http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4TSNP_enUS459US459&tbm=bks&q=inautho\
              r:%22Max+E.+Wawrzyniak%22&sa=X&ei=0AqlUYqLC46L0QH0i4G4Cw&ved=0CFIQ9AgwCA\
              > - 2006
              Dave Gray

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Curran Bishop wrote:

              > ...And next question:
              >
              > I am attempting to remove the lower unit to replace the impeller. I
              have
              > opened the access cover in the 'leg' of the outboard and disconnected
              the
              > shifting linkage, unscrewed the five bolts (four from underneath, on
              on the
              > back from above), and now the lower unit will drop about 1/2" but no
              > further. I think I can see the drive shaft through the access door in
              the
              > leg, and it does not move when I wiggle the lower unit up and down
              (not
              > sure if this is pertinent or not). Any ideas?
              >

              > On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Curran Bishop curranb79@... wrote:
              >
              > > I also meant to add: it only took about 6 oz. of oil--does that seem
              > > right? I was thinking it should be more.
              > >

              > > On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Curran Bishop curranb79@...wrote:
              > >
              > >> Thanks all for the advice - I went with the walmart 80w90; I'm
              delighted
              > >> to report that when I drained the old gear oil there were no
              > >> metal particles and no whiteness or creaminess to the color--in
              fact it
              > >> looked new (which makes me wonder if the previous owner changed it
              before
              > >> storage [he told me that when he put it into storage he didn't
              realize he
              > >> would not be using it for a while and hadn't taken precautions...]
              or if he
              > >> changed it before selling it...)
              > >>
              > >> So naturally my next question: the manual says to fill the bottom
              hole
              > >> until lube comes out the top hole, then drain about an ounce to
              allow for
              > >> oil expansion, and put the bottom screw back in--when I pulled out
              the oil
              > >> bottle nozzle with the drain plug screw ready and quickly inserted
              and
              > >> screwed it shut I would estimate that quite a bit more than an
              ounce of oil
              > >> leaked out, and I can't picture how you'd avoid this. Do I need to
              top off
              > >> the top hole?

            • Doug Hall
              Message 6 of 15 , May 30 9:13 PM
                hi,curran when filling the the gear oil the best way is fill from bottom to top when the oil starts to come out put the top plug back in while holding the tube in the lower hole , then remove the tube and replace the lower plug what little oil that leaks out will be plenty for expansion . remember that lower unit is well cooled . as a side the former owner may have used Lubriplate oil in the gearcase which is an off white  in color which makes it hard to detect water .[ not my favorite product ] have a great summer  doug h.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , May 30 9:21 PM
                  Thanks Doug! That makes perfect sense - don't know why I didn't think to
                  close up the top first.

                  The oil that came out when I changed it looked yellowish and like clean,
                  new oil.

                  I'm thinking I'll actually make the splash down next week at the Rend Lake
                  Messabout and, assuming everything works and floats, I think it will be a
                  great summer! Same to you!

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 30 9:28 PM
                    hi curran , re: lower unit not dropping off, it sounds like the drive shaft is frozen in the bottom of the crankshaft not uncommon . there is a small pin that drives the impeller what you will have to do is to pull that pin thru the impeller housing . then with vise grips remove the d/s be sure not to grab the d/s in a bearing area .replace the impeller & hsg. clean the splines on the d/s ,lube the spline [grease] and replace the lower unit.  doug h .

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 30 9:54 PM
                      hey curran , wait a min. i just saw a e/m from dave gray and said that engine is a 58  5 1/2 if so the powerhead  has to come off first to remove the shift linkage & there is a series of parts on that end of the d/s to seal water from getting into the bottom of the c/s  .let me know if i can help further . doug h.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 31 6:52 PM
                        No, it's a '58 18 HP. It's been confirmed that it's the pin at the top
                        that I need to align, but I've put it in gear and rotated the prop to align
                        it and can't find where it needs to be. I finally just got it to the
                        mechanic so it'll be functional next week for the messabout...