Re: Boxtop plans for sale ?

    Message 1 of 14 , May 13, 2013
      If you look at the sketch at the bottom of the PDF that Mark posted in
      the files it shows an outline of the bow extension and also gives the
      OAL as 30 ft. Nowhere in my plans does it give the dimensions for the
      extension and the OAL is 27' 8 1/4". Also the height at the bow above
      the LWL is shown as 11" whereas in the sketch I would guess it is twice
      that?

      Would not be hard to add that though - just based on the PDF sketch -
      even without the dimensions. Bolger suggested doing that with some of
      his, including removable bow extensions if the slip is too short or the
      marina charges by the foot:-)

      2 people could easily sleep on the cockpit benches as well or even
      cross-ways if a lowerable table were added as the cockpit is 6' wide or
      close. Just modify a tent to fit over it.

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango" wrote:

      > I was one of the persons who received Boxtop plans around the same
      time you did. I think you have the most recent version. Jim just drew
      in an extension by hand. You can see the "addition" on two of his
      drawings (I think).

      > Boxtop truly is a wonderful design. I think she'd be a great
      liveaboard for one, or two who like to spoon! I have talked to my wife
      about BT many times before. She would be great to leave in a mangrove
      swamp (the boat, not my wife!) on some island (with a local watching)
      for a vacation boat. She would be wonderful due to her ultra shoal
      draft and easy to handle rig.

      > By the way, BT could be improved by adding two quarter berths, moving
      the galley forward, and making more galley space (in from of new
      quarterberth) on the other side of the companionway. This would give
      much more galley space, require NO structural modifications, and greatly
      improve the available berths. I discussed this with Jim at one point
      and he thought it to be a great idea.

      > Chris Curtis
      > S/V Romany
      > curtisvamilyadventures.wordpress.com
      >

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Kellock" creditscorenz@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I received my plans along with the other eight a couple of years
      ago. I just assumed when looking at them that they were the latest, but
      now I'm not so sure. My plans say they are for Boxtop B, June 1992 Rev
      A, February 1994.

      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Before the bow extension was added. So the OAL is 27' 83/4"
      instead of
      > > > 30' as shown in the files. The bow as designed shows it 11" above
      the
      > > > waterline at 5500 lb, displacement. 12" draft.
      > > >
      > > > Am pretty sure I know of the sailing scow he refers to that
      plowed. It
      > > > had a lot of weight added to the bow due to a tremendously
      complicated
      > > > heavy anchor system added after the initial plans were drawn, and
      it was
      > > > built, but Jim declined to give any details - just mentioned what
      added
      > > > weight can do in the bow of any design. So I would tend to go
      with what
      > > > is shown in my plan-set and just not carry a ton of anchor tackle
      that
      > > > far forward. Not a problem if tied to a float, or with a
      reasonable
      > > > weight of chain in a box back against the cabin bulkhead.
      > > >
      > > > The bow design is very similar to Bolger's AS29. Open forward and
      > > > self-draining.

      Viola22.

    • Rob Kellock
      Message 2 of 14 , May 14, 2013
        Well, I'm glad we've cleared that up! Right now, I could never build such a boat, but I WOULD like to see one built, so if any of you decide to start one, I'm prepared to give you two to three weeks free labour to give it a nudge. I'm a reasonably practical guy - my occupation is an electrician. You'd just have to put up with my Kiwi accent.

        Cheers,

        Rob.

        > If you look at the sketch at the bottom of the PDF that Mark posted in
        > the files it shows an outline of the bow extension and also gives the
        > OAL as 30 ft. Nowhere in my plans does it give the dimensions for the
        > extension and the OAL is 27' 8 1/4". Also the height at the bow above
        > the LWL is shown as 11" whereas in the sketch I would guess it is twice
        > that?
        >
        > Would not be hard to add that though - just based on the PDF sketch -
        > even without the dimensions. Bolger suggested doing that with some of
        > his, including removable bow extensions if the slip is too short or the
        > marina charges by the foot:-)
        >
        > 2 people could easily sleep on the cockpit benches as well or even
        > cross-ways if a lowerable table were added as the cockpit is 6' wide or
        > close. Just modify a tent to fit over it.
        >
        > Nels
        >

        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "joe_mapango" wrote:
        > >
        > > I was one of the persons who received Boxtop plans around the same
        > time you did. I think you have the most recent version. Jim just drew
        > in an extension by hand. You can see the "addition" on two of his
        > drawings (I think).
        > >
        > > Boxtop truly is a wonderful design. I think she'd be a great
        > liveaboard for one, or two who like to spoon! I have talked to my wife
        > about BT many times before. She would be great to leave in a mangrove
        > swamp (the boat, not my wife!) on some island (with a local watching)
        > for a vacation boat. She would be wonderful due to her ultra shoal
        > draft and easy to handle rig.
        > >
        > > By the way, BT could be improved by adding two quarter berths, moving
        > the galley forward, and making more galley space (in from of new
        > quarterberth) on the other side of the companionway. This would give
        > much more galley space, require NO structural modifications, and greatly
        > improve the available berths. I discussed this with Jim at one point
        > and he thought it to be a great idea.
        > >
        > > Chris Curtis
        > > S/V Romany
        > > curtisvamilyadventures.wordpress.com

      • rkldude
        Message 3 of 14 , May 14, 2013
          Mr. Dixon, Thank you for the offer it is greatly appreciated. I have reconsidered building Boxtop and have ordered the plans for Cormorant instead. It will be a better rough water boat and the idea that it was designed around trailerability was a factor as well. I do like both, but Cormorant will also be a better liveaboard for me (on and off the trailer). Thanks again, Richard Laux

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Eugene Dixon <edixon193941@...> wrote:

          > Hi Richard
          >   If you don't here from JM in a few days let me know and I well let you have mine
          >        it was to much of a boat for me
          >      an finishing up  his JB3{Juke box3}
          > Eugene  JB3   "Arkansas Traveler:"

        • Tom Barclay