Re: Modified Petesboat or similar design

  • Rob Kellock
    Message 1 of 13 , May 10 11:57 PM
    • Mastimagery
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11 1:27 AM
        Thanks for the link Rob.

        Not sure what it is about the Madrigal (and the other scow you mention) but there is something about the shape that I love. Just looks tough I guess, which would tie in with your comment about it being so heavily built. I've not seen the plans myself.

        My wife is not at all keen on the look though, so that, together with my concern over what looks like pretty low headroom, means i'll probably never get round to buying the plans. However, in my dreams she's the perfect salty boat for me!!

        All the best
        Paul :-)

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 13 , May 11 6:38 AM
          rkldude,
          Very easy to eliminate the V entry by just adjusting the forward topside
          panel section to the same curvature as the keel line forward which can
          be measured from the plans. But if at some point you decide to move it
          any distance, you might wish you had that V entry - your choice.

          Another design to consider is Boxtop which can be shortened easily and
          has a lot more interior room, but also takes a lot more plywood to
          build. Serious live-aboard scow. Plans are about the same price or less.

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rkldude" wrote:

          > I am wanting to build a boat/barge along the lines of Petesboat but
          with a scow type bow instead of the V type that Petesboat has. This
          scow/barge will be used as a live aboard platform and will have a
          seperate vessel as it`s mode of propulsion. Can I eliminate building the
          V into Petesboat if I were to build it ? All in all this design and it`s
          size are exactly what I need (minus the sail rig). Anyone aware of some
          esign that will fill the bill and not break the bank and will build
          quickly ? Thanks.

        • sirdarnell
          Message 4 of 13 , May 11 7:45 AM
            http://www.triloboats.com/

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:

            > I am wanting to build a boat/barge along the lines of Petesboat but with a scow type bow instead of the V type that Petesboat has. This scow/barge will be used as a live aboard platform and will have a seperate vessel as it`s mode of propulsion. Can I eliminate building the V into Petesboat if I were to build it ? All in all this design and it`s size are exactly what I need (minus the sail rig). Anyone aware of some esign that will fill the bill and not break the bank and will build quickly ? Thanks.

          • John Trussell
            Message 5 of 13 , May 11 9:34 AM
              Although it may be heresy on this site.

              Have you considered buying a large, aluminum jon boat and building a cabin
              on the hull?

              JohnT

              _____

              Message 6 of 13 , May 11 9:39 AM
                I don't see why you couldn't. With the bulkheads & temporary frames in dry pull the side panels in at the bow, just not all the way together. when it looks good measure for a bow transom, frame it up, line all your centerlines. Should be good to go.
                Martin

                Message 7 of 13 , May 11 10:04 AM

                  > rkldude,
                  > Very easy to eliminate the V entry by just adjusting the forward topside...Nels

                  From Don,

                  I agree w' Nels. It seems to me I read in a Michalak writing somewhere that PetesBoat can be built w/o the v-entry just for the simplicity. So you will have the designer's blessing on some level. Because it would no longer be a sailer, you could add a much higher cabin area. But by the time you do that, you may have lost advantage over BoxTop. PetesBoat hull also could be pushed/pulled faster than BoxTop which is a pure displacement design, but that may be an unatainable advantage.

                  I also agree that Boxtop would be a better live aboard because of headroom. Though my 6'3" height and Jim M's smaller size always give me pause when considering such things.

                  Lastly, Bolger designed more than one boat to be used as you describe. One was a big catamaran that had a yawl boat that did double duty as a pusher for the cat' and a runabout when the cat' wasn't being moved. He also has an unpowered scow live aboard in "Boats With An Open Mind".

                  I suspect that Petesboat, or Boxtop would be simpler than anybodyelse's design.
                • Gene Berry
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 11 1:13 PM
                    John,

                     i have thought often of doing just that. i think a Grizzly from Bass Pro would be the ticket to start with. don't tell anyone though.

                    Gene Berry

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11 1:56 PM
                      I saw one go by on a trailer a couple of years ago. The cabin top was arched
                      and there was a smoke stack coming out. It looked fairly shippy.

                      When I get too old to sail (which may not ne that far off), I may go for a
                      cabin/ shanty/ jon boat.

                      JohnT

                      _____

                      From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11 5:14 PM
                        Hey, if it's good enough for Claude Monet, it's good enough for this crowd:

                        http://www.barnesfoundation.org/collections/art-collection/object/5095/the-studio-boat-le-bateau-atelier

                        ('Tain't al-you-minium, however)