Re: Modified Petesboat or similar design

  • Rob Kellock
    Message 1 of 13 , May 10, 2013
      I've got the plans to Madrigal and it isn't a simple build. It's also massively overbuilt as it was designed to go into open water (incidentally, Madrigal is almost identical to Howard Chapelle's "Utility Boat of the Dutch Type" http://thegreatsea.homestead.com/boat.html, except it has no cockpit and a few other minor differences. The length is 22ft and it is featured in Chapelle's book "Boatbuilding" which in turn was influenced by the Dutch zeeschouwen). The Dutch always build their boats really heavy. As designed, with no ballast, Madrigal weighs as much as your typical plastic 22ft trailer sailer with 300kgs of lead ballast.

      I think perhaps a Triloboat (http://www.triloboats.com) might be more suitable or just go ahead and adapt Petesboat to suit. Jim has already commented that the warped V bow, probably isn't worth it in a boat of that length. Likewise Madrigal has bilge panels and these would be pointless, if the sail rig is not going to be used.

      Cheers,

      Rob.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Mastimagery <mastimagery@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Not a Michalak, but how about Madrigal?
      >
      > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/osbourn/Madrigal/
      >
      > I think the designer and his wife lived aboard for about a year.
      >
      > Head room might be a bit restrictive, but the build looks quick and cheap and the plans are very reasonably priced.
      >
      > Just a thought......
      >
      > Cheers
      > Paul
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On 11 May 2013, at 05:26, "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I am wanting to build a boat/barge along the lines of Petesboat but with a scow type bow instead of the V type that Petesboat has. This scow/barge will be used as a live aboard platform and will have a seperate vessel as it`s mode of propulsion. Can I eliminate building the V into Petesboat if I were to build it ? All in all this design and it`s size are exactly what I need (minus the sail rig). Anyone aware of some esign that will fill the bill and not break the bank and will build quickly ? Thanks.

    • Rob Kellock
      Message 2 of 13 , May 10, 2013
      • Mastimagery
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2013
          Thanks for the link Rob.

          Not sure what it is about the Madrigal (and the other scow you mention) but there is something about the shape that I love. Just looks tough I guess, which would tie in with your comment about it being so heavily built. I've not seen the plans myself.

          My wife is not at all keen on the look though, so that, together with my concern over what looks like pretty low headroom, means i'll probably never get round to buying the plans. However, in my dreams she's the perfect salty boat for me!!

          All the best
          Paul :-)

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 13 , May 11, 2013
            rkldude,
            Very easy to eliminate the V entry by just adjusting the forward topside
            panel section to the same curvature as the keel line forward which can
            be measured from the plans. But if at some point you decide to move it
            any distance, you might wish you had that V entry - your choice.

            Another design to consider is Boxtop which can be shortened easily and
            has a lot more interior room, but also takes a lot more plywood to
            build. Serious live-aboard scow. Plans are about the same price or less.

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rkldude" wrote:

            > I am wanting to build a boat/barge along the lines of Petesboat but
            with a scow type bow instead of the V type that Petesboat has. This
            scow/barge will be used as a live aboard platform and will have a
            seperate vessel as it`s mode of propulsion. Can I eliminate building the
            V into Petesboat if I were to build it ? All in all this design and it`s
            size are exactly what I need (minus the sail rig). Anyone aware of some
            esign that will fill the bill and not break the bank and will build
            quickly ? Thanks.

          • sirdarnell
            Message 5 of 13 , May 11, 2013
              http://www.triloboats.com/

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:

              > I am wanting to build a boat/barge along the lines of Petesboat but with a scow type bow instead of the V type that Petesboat has. This scow/barge will be used as a live aboard platform and will have a seperate vessel as it`s mode of propulsion. Can I eliminate building the V into Petesboat if I were to build it ? All in all this design and it`s size are exactly what I need (minus the sail rig). Anyone aware of some esign that will fill the bill and not break the bank and will build quickly ? Thanks.

            • John Trussell
              Message 6 of 13 , May 11, 2013
                Although it may be heresy on this site.

                Have you considered buying a large, aluminum jon boat and building a cabin
                on the hull?

                JohnT

                _____

                Message 7 of 13 , May 11, 2013
                  I don't see why you couldn't. With the bulkheads & temporary frames in dry pull the side panels in at the bow, just not all the way together. when it looks good measure for a bow transom, frame it up, line all your centerlines. Should be good to go.
                  Martin

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 11, 2013

                    > rkldude,
                    > Very easy to eliminate the V entry by just adjusting the forward topside...Nels

                    From Don,

                    I agree w' Nels. It seems to me I read in a Michalak writing somewhere that PetesBoat can be built w/o the v-entry just for the simplicity. So you will have the designer's blessing on some level. Because it would no longer be a sailer, you could add a much higher cabin area. But by the time you do that, you may have lost advantage over BoxTop. PetesBoat hull also could be pushed/pulled faster than BoxTop which is a pure displacement design, but that may be an unatainable advantage.

                    I also agree that Boxtop would be a better live aboard because of headroom. Though my 6'3" height and Jim M's smaller size always give me pause when considering such things.

                    Lastly, Bolger designed more than one boat to be used as you describe. One was a big catamaran that had a yawl boat that did double duty as a pusher for the cat' and a runabout when the cat' wasn't being moved. He also has an unpowered scow live aboard in "Boats With An Open Mind".

                    I suspect that Petesboat, or Boxtop would be simpler than anybodyelse's design.
                  • Gene Berry
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11, 2013
                      John,

                       i have thought often of doing just that. i think a Grizzly from Bass Pro would be the ticket to start with. don't tell anyone though.

                      Gene Berry

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 11, 2013
                        I saw one go by on a trailer a couple of years ago. The cabin top was arched
                        and there was a smoke stack coming out. It looked fairly shippy.

                        When I get too old to sail (which may not ne that far off), I may go for a
                        cabin/ shanty/ jon boat.

                        JohnT

                        _____

                        From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 11, 2013
                          Hey, if it's good enough for Claude Monet, it's good enough for this crowd:

                          http://www.barnesfoundation.org/collections/art-collection/object/5095/the-studio-boat-le-bateau-atelier

                          ('Tain't al-you-minium, however)