Skip to search.

Re: Hull paint (Larsboat)

    Message 1 of 14 , May 9, 2013
      How do you like your Larsboat? Any estimate on the final weight?

      Thanks, Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:

      > I used it on my Larsboat hull, its not quite a year old, but has held
      up well so far. I've ran over and into quite a bit of limbs and stumps,
      and it has proven to be a good hard scratch resistant finish, time will
      tell though.

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" rudder59@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used
      it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting
      hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with
      it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.

      > > Regards
      > > Mike

    • shooter1941
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9, 2013
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
        >
        > Regards
        > Mike

        Based on what I have learned on this forum I took a look at the paint as a possibility for the sailboat (Mayfly 14) I am just starting to build.
        Interestingly enough Lowes has single quarts for $11.95 Home Depot sells it in a two quart pack for the bargain price of $29.95....go figure.
        Cheers,
        Colin
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 14 , May 9, 2013
          Thanks everyone for the feedback on the paint.

          Andres I know it's categorized as paint for above the waterline but just like latex and oil based house paints being used on the JM boats I would consider using it on the piccup pram hull below the waterline also since I will be trailering it and not leaving it in the water.
          Mike
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Mike
          > >
          > Based on what I have learned on this forum I took a look at the paint as a possibility for the sailboat (Mayfly 14) I am just starting to build.
          > Interestingly enough Lowes has single quarts for $11.95 Home Depot sells it in a two quart pack for the bargain price of $29.95....go figure.
          > Cheers,
          > Colin

        • tsgosnell
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2013
            Nels,
            I really like the boat a lot. Very easy to paddle with either a single or a double paddle. It is on the heavy side, I'd guess about 75 lbs but I built it to last so the weight doesn't bother me. I can launch and retrieve it alone, but I use a 2 wheel cart. It carries 2 people really well and is a lot more stable than some kayaks I've tried in the past. Hope to put some some fish in it this summer!
            Scott

            > How do you like your Larsboat? Any estimate on the final weight?
            >
            > Thanks, Nels
            >
            > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:
            > >
            > > I used it on my Larsboat hull, its not quite a year old, but has held
            > up well so far. I've ran over and into quite a bit of limbs and stumps,
            > and it has proven to be a good hard scratch resistant finish, time will
            > tell though.
            > >
            > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" rudder59@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used
            > it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting
            > hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with
            > it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
            > > >
            > > > Regards
            > > > Mike

          • Andres Espino
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2013
              It is tough paint and i would trust  it. Near as I can tell it is standard Rustoleum with added temperature and UV protection.  I remember my dad used to paint our farm machinery with Rustoleum paint and it lasted for years in -40 winters and 100 degree summers.

              I have always liked Rustoleum oil based enamel paint.

              Andrew

              ________________________________
              Thanks everyone for the feedback on the paint.

              Andres I know it's categorized as paint for above the waterline but just like latex and oil based house paints being used on the JM boats I would consider using it on the piccup pram hull below the waterline also since I will be trailering it and not leaving it in the water.
              Mike
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Mike
              > >
              > Based on what I have learned on this forum I took a look at the paint as a possibility for the sailboat (Mayfly 14) I am just starting to build.
              > Interestingly enough Lowes has single quarts for $11.95 Home Depot sells it in a two quart pack for the bargain price of $29.95....go figure.
              > Cheers,
              > Colin

            • Don Workman
              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2013
                Rustoleum also makes a bottom paint.
              • Andres Espino
                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2013
                  Really?  Didn't know that.. do you have a page link?

                  Andrew

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12, 2013
                    http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=6

                    The main criticism seems to be that for salt water the copper content
                    isn't as high as other paints and as far as I know there is only one
                    color.
                  • Don Workman
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13, 2013
                      Two colors.

                      On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Don Workman <tubadon@...> wrote:
                      > http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=6
                      >
                      > The main criticism seems to be that for salt water the copper content
                      > isn't as high as other paints and as far as I know there is only one
                      > color.
                    • Andres Espino
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 13, 2013
                        I wish they also had the classic Red