Hull paint

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8 5:56 PM
      Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.

      Regards
      Mike
    • tsgosnell
      Message 2 of 14 , May 9 7:06 AM
        I used it on my Larsboat hull, its not quite a year old, but has held up well so far. I've ran over and into quite a bit of limbs and stumps, and it has proven to be a good hard scratch resistant finish, time will tell though.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
        >
        > Regards
        > Mike

      • Andres Espino
        Message 3 of 14 , May 9 12:45 PM
          I have been using it for over 2 years with good results on my 24 footer cabin and deck.  It is like reguklar Rustoleumn with superduty UV and tem,perature  resistance   My ONLY complaint is they do not make enough different colors.

          Andrew

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , May 9 12:46 PM
            NOTE this is recommended as topsdide paint only for above the waterline not in the water.

            Andrew

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , May 9 1:47 PM
              How do you like your Larsboat? Any estimate on the final weight?

              Thanks, Nels

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:

              > I used it on my Larsboat hull, its not quite a year old, but has held
              up well so far. I've ran over and into quite a bit of limbs and stumps,
              and it has proven to be a good hard scratch resistant finish, time will
              tell though.

              > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" rudder59@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used
              it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting
              hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with
              it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.

              > > Regards
              > > Mike

            • shooter1941
              Message 6 of 14 , May 9 5:14 PM
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
                >
                > Regards
                > Mike

                Based on what I have learned on this forum I took a look at the paint as a possibility for the sailboat (Mayfly 14) I am just starting to build.
                Interestingly enough Lowes has single quarts for $11.95 Home Depot sells it in a two quart pack for the bargain price of $29.95....go figure.
                Cheers,
                Colin
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 14 , May 9 7:18 PM
                  Thanks everyone for the feedback on the paint.

                  Andres I know it's categorized as paint for above the waterline but just like latex and oil based house paints being used on the JM boats I would consider using it on the piccup pram hull below the waterline also since I will be trailering it and not leaving it in the water.
                  Mike
                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Regards
                  > > Mike
                  > >
                  > Based on what I have learned on this forum I took a look at the paint as a possibility for the sailboat (Mayfly 14) I am just starting to build.
                  > Interestingly enough Lowes has single quarts for $11.95 Home Depot sells it in a two quart pack for the bargain price of $29.95....go figure.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Colin

                • tsgosnell
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 10 1:42 PM
                    Nels,
                    I really like the boat a lot. Very easy to paddle with either a single or a double paddle. It is on the heavy side, I'd guess about 75 lbs but I built it to last so the weight doesn't bother me. I can launch and retrieve it alone, but I use a 2 wheel cart. It carries 2 people really well and is a lot more stable than some kayaks I've tried in the past. Hope to put some some fish in it this summer!
                    Scott

                    > How do you like your Larsboat? Any estimate on the final weight?
                    >
                    > Thanks, Nels
                    >
                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "tsgosnell" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I used it on my Larsboat hull, its not quite a year old, but has held
                    > up well so far. I've ran over and into quite a bit of limbs and stumps,
                    > and it has proven to be a good hard scratch resistant finish, time will
                    > tell though.
                    > >
                    > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" rudder59@ wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used
                    > it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting
                    > hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with
                    > it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
                    > > >
                    > > > Regards
                    > > > Mike

                  • Andres Espino
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 10 2:28 PM
                      It is tough paint and i would trust  it. Near as I can tell it is standard Rustoleum with added temperature and UV protection.  I remember my dad used to paint our farm machinery with Rustoleum paint and it lasted for years in -40 winters and 100 degree summers.

                      I have always liked Rustoleum oil based enamel paint.

                      Andrew

                      ________________________________
                      Thanks everyone for the feedback on the paint.

                      Andres I know it's categorized as paint for above the waterline but just like latex and oil based house paints being used on the JM boats I would consider using it on the piccup pram hull below the waterline also since I will be trailering it and not leaving it in the water.
                      Mike
                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "shooter1941" <cbuxton41@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Has anyone had any experience with the Rustoleum Topside paint? Used it a while ago on sunfish hull but only used it twice after painting hull. I was wondering if anyone else had a longer term experience with it. Considering it possibly for piccup.Thanks.
                      > >
                      > > Regards
                      > > Mike
                      > >
                      > Based on what I have learned on this forum I took a look at the paint as a possibility for the sailboat (Mayfly 14) I am just starting to build.
                      > Interestingly enough Lowes has single quarts for $11.95 Home Depot sells it in a two quart pack for the bargain price of $29.95....go figure.
                      > Cheers,
                      > Colin

                    • Don Workman
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 10 4:34 PM
                        Rustoleum also makes a bottom paint.
                      • Andres Espino
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 11 11:54 PM
                          Really?  Didn't know that.. do you have a page link?

                          Andrew

                          ________________________________
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 12 12:18 AM
                            http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=6

                            The main criticism seems to be that for salt water the copper content
                            isn't as high as other paints and as far as I know there is only one
                            color.
                          • Don Workman
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 13 12:58 PM
                              Two colors.

                              On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Don Workman <tubadon@...> wrote:
                              > http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=6
                              >
                              > The main criticism seems to be that for salt water the copper content
                              > isn't as high as other paints and as far as I know there is only one
                              > color.
                            • Andres Espino
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 13 1:09 PM
                                I wish they also had the classic Red