Re: First brazilian Piccup Pram ?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 159 , May 1, 2013
      Andre
      Got a jump on things this weekend . Did some final glass work
      In bow and stern compartments. Made skeg and mast partner.
      Had enough merante 1/4 inch plywood I decided to glue up longer Leeboard and rudder out of that instead of the underlayment.
      Hope to do more this weekend.
      Regards,
      Mike

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > Wise decision for your sailing conditions. By the previous photos you
      > sent It seemed you have reached missile proof hull. Hehehe. I wouldn't
      > like even to think about swimming in a 46 degrees water.
      >
      > We are facing sixties and seventies here these days which is a pleasent
      > temperature to work. My build is a little delayed. I also plan to spend
      > whole Saturday on the boat: still need to finish outside hull glassing,
      > glue timber to form the tiller and trim down leeboard and rudder profiles.
      >
      > Good luck on your build ! I was thinking that would be great if we could
      > launch simultaneously. We could call CNN to record this breathtaking
      > event ! hehehe 2
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > Andre
      >

      > On 26-04-2013 16:14, Mike wrote:
      > >
      > > Andre,
      > > One of the things I learned years ago in navigation was that a very
      > > important source of information was local knowledge. Based on your
      > > comments you are well aware of the conditions in which you will be
      > > sailing. I think as Jeff said once the hull is fully supported by
      > > water and with the fiberglass cloth that you are using you shouldn't
      > > have an issue with oil canning. The area I will be sailing in is
      > > pretty open and at some point during the day (usually afternoon) has a
      > > chop on it. I will be using it on weekends and in the evening and plan
      > > to take it to the barrier islands which are 4-6 miles across the bay.
      > > Chances are either on the way out or on the way back I will encounter
      > > the chop. Hurricane Sandy caused a pretty good size breach in one of
      > > the islands and the water level, tides and currents have all been
      > > affected. I decided to go with the extra layer of plywood to stiffen
      > > the hull for the chop. I chose the Piccup because of the multi-chine
      > > hull's ability to handle the chop a little better. The combination of
      > > those two items if nothing else will provide a little more peace of
      > > mind ( especially at night) and make the sailing experience that much
      > > more enjoyable. I am going to post two pictures of the water
      > > conditions that I will encounter on a regular basis and were the
      > > reason for going with the Piccup design. Plus the fact that the water
      > > temperature currently is 46 degrees I want to stay in the boat not
      > > along side it.
      > > Made the larger leeboard and finally getting into the sixties and
      > > seventies and plan on working on it all weekend.
      > > Hope you are doing well with your build.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Mike

    • John Boy
      Message 159 of 159 , Sep 1, 2013
        Thank you. For some reason, my Chrome browser stopped translating.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android