Re: [Michalak] Re: First brazilian Piccup Pram ?

  • Andre Basso
    Message 1 of 159 , Apr 26 5:14 PM
      Hi Mike,

      Wise decision for your sailing conditions. By the previous photos you
      sent It seemed you have reached missile proof hull. Hehehe. I wouldn't
      like even to think about swimming in a 46 degrees water.

      We are facing sixties and seventies here these days which is a pleasent
      temperature to work. My build is a little delayed. I also plan to spend
      whole Saturday on the boat: still need to finish outside hull glassing,
      glue timber to form the tiller and trim down leeboard and rudder profiles.

      Good luck on your build ! I was thinking that would be great if we could
      launch simultaneously. We could call CNN to record this breathtaking
      event ! hehehe 2

      All the best,

      Andre

      On 26-04-2013 16:14, Mike wrote:

      > Andre,
      > One of the things I learned years ago in navigation was that a very
      > important source of information was local knowledge. Based on your
      > comments you are well aware of the conditions in which you will be
      > sailing. I think as Jeff said once the hull is fully supported by
      > water and with the fiberglass cloth that you are using you shouldn't
      > have an issue with oil canning. The area I will be sailing in is
      > pretty open and at some point during the day (usually afternoon) has a
      > chop on it. I will be using it on weekends and in the evening and plan
      > to take it to the barrier islands which are 4-6 miles across the bay.
      > Chances are either on the way out or on the way back I will encounter
      > the chop. Hurricane Sandy caused a pretty good size breach in one of
      > the islands and the water level, tides and currents have all been
      > affected. I decided to go with the extra layer of plywood to stiffen
      > the hull for the chop. I chose the Piccup because of the multi-chine
      > hull's ability to handle the chop a little better. The combination of
      > those two items if nothing else will provide a little more peace of
      > mind ( especially at night) and make the sailing experience that much
      > more enjoyable. I am going to post two pictures of the water
      > conditions that I will encounter on a regular basis and were the
      > reason for going with the Piccup design. Plus the fact that the water
      > temperature currently is 46 degrees I want to stay in the boat not
      > along side it.
      > Made the larger leeboard and finally getting into the sixties and
      > seventies and plan on working on it all weekend.
      > Hope you are doing well with your build.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike

    • John Boy
      Message 159 of 159 , Sep 1, 2013
        Thank you. For some reason, my Chrome browser stopped translating.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android