Re: Skeg for Blobster

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2013
      Miles,
      One thing IIRC is that Jim was not that crazy about adding skegs for the
      simple reason they are subject to damage when launching and retrieving
      at shallow boat ramps. Something I am familiar with. One of his designs
      "Eisbox" calls for a skeg and I considered framing it with square steel
      tubing rather than the 2x2 hardwood called for.

      If not concerned with this then I think they offer some advantage. With
      Eisbox it also protects the prop as the motor in on the center line. So
      on a heavier hull I think it has to be pretty securely bolted down in
      place if you plan anchoring near shore? A change in wind and waves can
      move the hull sideways and if the skeg hits something... crunch:-)

      Nels

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Miles B" wrote:

      > Another question. Blobster has no skeg. Has anyone added a skeg to
      their boat? Did it help with tracking when running? And sailing about at
      anchor? These are not major issues for Blobster, but I suspect a skeg
      could be a small improvement that could be easily made.