Epoxy filler

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
      Nels,

      I was just curious if anyone has ever tried using wood ashes as filler. I burn a lot of wood over the winter and have a lot of ashes by end of season. Since wood flour is used I was just curious if anyone ever tried using ashes.

      Regards,
      Mike
    • Giuliano Girometta
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
        Ashes are caustic and corrosive and that may be a problem.

        Giuliano

        I was just curious if anyone has ever tried using wood ashes as filler. I burn a lot of wood over the winter and have a lot of ashes by end of season. Since wood flour is used I was just curious if anyone ever tried using ashes.

        Regards,
        Mike

      • Anders Bjorklund
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2013
          Once in a while some diehard boatbuilder will mention wanting his cremated
          remains mixed into epoxy and applied to a boat. Maybe that's different. ;<)

          On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Mike <rudder59@...> wrote:

          > I was just curious if anyone has ever tried using wood ashes as filler. I
          > burn a lot of wood over the winter and have a lot of ashes by end of
          > season. Since wood flour is used I was just curious if anyone ever tried
          > using ashes.

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2013
            Always impressed with the great feedback you get on this forum. Completely forgot that the ashes are caustic. Will stick to putting them in garden and compost and use talc and wood filler. Thanks

            Regards,
            Mike

            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

            > Nels,
            >
            > I was just curious if anyone has ever tried using wood ashes as filler. I burn a lot of wood over the winter and have a lot of ashes by end of season. Since wood flour is used I was just curious if anyone ever tried using ashes.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Mike

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2013
              Anders,
              My buddy has strict instructions to spread my ashes at the #6 buoy where we have our sailing races every Tuesday and Thursday night. I figure that way I can still continue to enjoy the races just from a different vantage point.

              Regards,
              Mike

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
                Ashes are about the only thing I haven't heard used:-)

                The best choices from what I was told are to use fillers recommended by
                the epoxy manufacturers and other builders. Seems the most popular are
                Silica thickener (Cab-o-sil) which is a very light bulking agent -
                meaning less epoxy required, less sagging tendency and easy to sand. And
                Micro-balloons. The cost of these are off-set by the savings in epoxy
                and work involved.

                http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/additives/index.htm
                <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/additives/index.htm>

                Nels

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@...> wrote:

                > Nels,
                >
                > I was just curious if anyone has ever tried using wood ashes as
                filler. I burn a lot of wood over the winter and have a lot of ashes by
                end of season. Since wood flour is used I was just curious if anyone
                ever tried using ashes.

                > Regards,
                > Mike

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
                  Nels,
                  Yup those were the ones I was familiar with and also Talc from JM's book. Just read Sam Devlin's book " how to Build Any Boat the Stitch and Glue Way" and he mentions Cab-o-sil quite frequently.

                  Regards,
                  Mike

                  > Ashes are about the only thing I haven't heard used:-)
                  >
                  > The best choices from what I was told are to use fillers recommended by
                  > the epoxy manufacturers and other builders. Seems the most popular are
                  > Silica thickener (Cab-o-sil) which is a very light bulking agent -
                  > meaning less epoxy required, less sagging tendency and easy to sand. And
                  > Micro-balloons. The cost of these are off-set by the savings in epoxy
                  > and work involved.
                  >
                  > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/additives/index.htm
                  > <http://www.duckworksbbs.com/supplies/additives/index.htm>
                  >
                  > Nels
                  >

                  > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Nels,
                  > >
                  > > I was just curious if anyone has ever tried using wood ashes as
                  > filler. I burn a lot of wood over the winter and have a lot of ashes by
                  > end of season. Since wood flour is used I was just curious if anyone
                  > ever tried using ashes.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Mike

                • tom_the_rower
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
                    I told my wife and kids and my buddies that I want my dead body put into one of my many homemade boats (probably the crappiest of them) and then the boat loaded with kiln dried firewood from my pizza oven, on top of me then the boat towed to the middle of the river and set on fire. I even talked to the head guy at a local crematorium. Said it wouldn't burn hot enough. He has NO idea that I probably used 3 times as much epoxy as I needed to as I learned to cobble together boats.
                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 15, 2013
                      Tom,
                      A true Viking Funeral! May be a new market for epoxy suppliers. Hope you have a long time to enjoy those boats before the final sail.
                      Mike