Re: [Michalak] Design Influences

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
      Seabird was designed way back in 19-ought something, way before waterproof
      plywood was even a twinkle in some inventor's eye. <g> Thomas Fleming Day,
      editor of The Rudder at the time, collaborated with Mower to design a
      seaworthy small boat that would show people that they didn't need to be
      rich to enjoy "yachting." Day, along with TWO(!) crew, sailed the original
      Seabird across the Atlantic in 1911 to prove the point. I've seen Seabirds
      in person, and they're small for a 25-footer. And T. F. Day was a man with
      a strong personality. The crew must have felt the boat get even smaller as
      the voyage progressed. ;o)

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Fleming_Day

      B. B. Crowninshield is probably remembered best today for the surviving
      big schooner yachts he designed. A couple:

      http://www.schoonermartha.org/

      http://www.soundexp.org/index.php?page=history

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense. (Mark
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2013
        Yes of course you are correct John. I guess it got it confused with the
        plywood version later on and the plans sold in WB Mag. Because of it's
        hard-chines was not difficult to re-design.

        http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/plywood-sea-bird-yawl
        <http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/plywood-sea-bird-yawl>

        What I think Day did that was ahead of it's time was being the first to
        promote outboards for off-shore work whereas most thought it would be
        extremely stupid. But again - I could be wrong.

        Great links - thanks!

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

        > Seabird was designed way back in 19-ought something, way before
        waterproof
        > plywood was even a twinkle in some inventor's eye. <g>

      • Mike Graf
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 6, 2013
          I thought it interesting that the hard chine boat(pre-plywood) was
          actually harder to build than round bottom plank on frame, but the
          common man thought it LOOKED easier to build!
          I owned one for 6 years....great sailer...REALLY FAST on a broad reach

          On 04/05/2013 04:44 PM, prairiedog2332 wrote:

          > Yes of course you are correct John. I guess it got it confused with the
          > plywood version later on and the plans sold in WB Mag. Because of it's
          > hard-chines was not difficult to re-design.
          >
          > http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/plywood-sea-bird-yawl
          > <http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/plywood-sea-bird-yawl>
          >
          > What I think Day did that was ahead of it's time was being the first to
          > promote outboards for off-shore work whereas most thought it would be
          > extremely stupid. But again - I could be wrong.
          >
          > Great links - thanks!
          >
          > Nels
          >
          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Seabird was designed way back in 19-ought something, way before
          > waterproof
          > > plywood was even a twinkle in some inventor's eye. <g>

        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2013
            And, too, he was among the first to promote taking a tiny thing like
            Seabird out into the open ocean, all for recreation, and with the
            guts to do it himself first.

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
              Most of those pre-plywood V-bottom boats LOOK LIKE they'd be easy to build
              using plywood planking. They've got straight sections, don't they? <g> But
              in fact it's often impossible to make plywood sheets wrap around their
              bottoms because there's _twist_ in the sections. Many boats designed for
              plywood don't have straight sections forward, though they'd be better for
              them, because plywood likes to bow out when you wrap it around a V-bottom.
              And notice how all plywood V-bottom boats have a cut away forefoot to
              reduce twist. Looks can indeed be deceiving. <g>

              For a boat shop a hundred years ago a V-bottom boat would have been harder
              to build, because they were all set up to do round-bottom boats, with a
              steambox, backing out planes, and builders familiar with that
              construction, but a V-bottom _could_ be easier for an amateur, since
              there's little to no steambending (though twist in the bow could make
              fore-and-aft planking troublesome without one). Frames could be made out
              of straight lumber from the lumberyard. The planking wouldn't need to be
              backed out, and external fairing would have been minimal. The transition
              from bottom to topsides near the bow could be tricky, though. Some
              boatbuilders and designers punted and used a chine with rabbets to get
              around that (in plywood boats too!). <g>

              Did your Seabird have a keel, or was it built to the original centerboard
              design? Thomas Fleming Day removed the centerboard of the original and
              added a keel with ballast before doing the transatlantic voyage.

              On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 06:20:09 -0700, Mike G wrote:

              > I thought it interesting that the hard chine boat(pre-plywood) was
              > actually harder to build than round bottom plank on frame, but the
              > common man thought it LOOKED easier to build!
              > I owned one for 6 years....great sailer...REALLY FAST on a broad reach

              John (jkohnen@...)
              No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. (Niels Bohr)
            • John Kohnen
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
                I don't know about the outboards for offshore bit, Nels, but that sounds
                like something Day would do. He was constantly promoting pleasure boating
                for ordinary people, and gave plenty of space in The Rudder for people to
                write about their adventures with outboards.

                Although he was an avid sailor T. F. Day was also an enthusiastic promoter
                of motorboats. In around 1912 he took a 35' Scripps powered Matthews built
                boat, Detroit, across the Atlantic, one of the first, if not the first,
                ocean crossing voyage in a motorboat.

                An interesting fellow, and The Rudder from back when Day was at the helm
                is a great magazine. Many libraries have bound collections. But ALL those
                old boating magazines were darn good by modern standards. There was a lot
                of the do-it-yourself, self sufficient spirit in boating back then, and
                the magazines would have articles about building your own skiff just a few
                pages away from articles about fancy gold-plated yachts.

                On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 13:44:26 -0700, Nels wrote:

                > What I think Day did that was ahead of it's time was being the first to
                > promote outboards for off-shore work whereas most thought it would be
                > extremely stupid. But again - I could be wrong.

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                The man who is always waving the flag usually waives what it stands for.
                (Laurence J. Peter)
              • Mike Graf
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Mine was a steel centerboard w/external ballast (3 in x 3 in lead slugs
                  running the full length of the centerboard slot). between the spread
                  out sail rig and adjustable clr she could balance @
                  many different points of sail

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
                    Mike,
                    How were the slugs secured to the bottom?

                    Some additional information here:

                    http://www.sonic.net/~johnh/homepage/Seabird/index.html

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
                      It's been a while since my wooden boat building school days, but I think
                      they are called "bedlogs" the 1 1/2 x1 1/2(oak) by the length of the
                      centerboard case that mount the case to the keelson

                      1/4 bronze bolts went down thru the bedlogs...thru the keelson...thru
                      the plywood bilge panel..thru the keel(which was just deep enough to
                      flatten out the rocker,maybe an inch or two @ each end of the
                      centerboard slot and 1/2 in in the middle)...then thru the lead ....the
                      nuts where counter sunk into the lead

                      I believe the boat was built by a Boeing Engineer...he did a good job of
                      it the outside ballast was his build. She sure was stable even w/ a
                      huge marconi rig 425 sq ft

                      I had the boat in her later years and that center board had a steady
                      leak until she filled to a certain point...... rot in the bedlogs
                      Old Squaw was a fine old vessel. Probably the most comfortable 25-26
                      footer I ever sailed I call it a skipjack hull they'll carry a load
                      AND their fast...dry decks

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
                        Great articles,hadn't seen them before
                        Mike