Re: Twin Leeboards

  • Tim Anderson
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 4, 2013
      I had twin air-foiled lee boards on my PCB Black Skimmer, i used the pivots
      that Phil used on Black Gauntlet with 1 degree toe-in. I also added a bow
      dagger board for beating in shallow water. She pointed very high so long as
      i sailed her as flat as possible. Tim P Anderson Swamp Dwelling Boat
      Builder

    • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 4, 2013
        Tim Anderson... I admire the Black Skimmer and the information. What swamp do you reside in? Can you add any comments experience with the bow dagger board. That is an unusual place for a foil and I wonder how and why Bolger came up with that arrangement. Any info would be appreciated. JIB

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 4, 2013
          I had a Dovekie with a bow centerboard. It worked fine in shallow water. It
          somewhat offset the lee helm which developed when I reefed. However, if you
          are in the habit of heading up in a puff, be aware that the bow centerboard
          will resist heading up-best to ease the sheet.

          JohnT

          _____

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 5, 2013
            Jim drew a design called "Eisbox" that had a bow centreboard installed
            in the free-flooding bow well as an option. There is a cartoon in the
            files section.

            The idea was to lower it enough in shallow water to help prevent lee
            helm as the leeboard was raised. Very simple to add as you don't have to
            worry about sealing the case since it is already inside the
            free-flooding well, so it can be a very shallow rectangular box open at
            the top. The board is in the shape of a quarter circle about 18" in
            diameter. Just needs some weight added so it stays down and a control
            line leads from a tab added to the aft end leading up to a turning block
            at the bow and then back to the helm to raise it to the desired height
            and locked into a jam cleat.

            Eisbox has a 5 ft. deep leeboard so as it is raised in shallows will
            quite likely introduce lee helm and spoil upwind capability. So as the
            leeboard is raised you lower the bow board and hopefully maintain a
            neutral balance at the helm by adjusting both boards as you go along.
            The only thing is that you are restricted to 6" draft on Eisbox as it
            has a skeg ahead of the inboard rudder to protect it - which Jim doesn't
            like all that much - but the fellow who commissioned it insisted on as
            he wanted the OB to be mounted on the centreline. It was intended to
            motor more than sail in the purpose he wanted a boat for. He wanted to
            motor out offshore to fish when the winds were normally too low to sail
            and sail back home when the on-shore breeze arose in the afternoon.

            So a fellow like JIB might be interested in this information if used in
            hull with less draft than Eisbox and likes to sail in the shallows?

            Nels

          • jhargrovewright2@juno.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6, 2013
              Nels, I was not familiar with Eisbox. Interesting boat. I did not find any info on the bow centerboard but have thought about the effects/uses that it might have. I think I understand the purpose and function balancing the boat in shallow water....Clever. I prefer to set up my boats with significant weather helm and rely on the rudder for a good portion of the LR.... I am just as careful building the rudder as the leeboard. I may do a centerboard again but, that is not on the list yet... Thanks for the information. That bow centerboard device has long been a mystery to me. Thanks, you have expanded my understanding of the sailboat, again.,,, I do love to sail in shallow water. At the Texas200 a couple of years ago in my Laguna....I stood on the bow of the boat....in the shade of the forward sail and followed the Matagorda Bay shore in 6" to 1' water sneaking up on the fish and other creature of the shallows. Interesting was that in displacement mode in 5"-6" the boat created a significant breaking 1/4 wave following off the transom. I was running directly down wind (10 mph) and did not have the push needed to plane. JIB
              --------------
              <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> Jim drew a design called "Eisbox" that had a bow centreboard installed

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 6, 2013
                As well as Dovekie and Black Skimmer Bolger added a bow board to his
                Whalewatcher for the same reasons - to help with helm balance.

                Bolger also tried to develop a bow steering design, based I think on ice
                boats? So a bow board you could adjust a bit to port or starboard would
                probably be interesting like toed in or out with leeboards. I think the
                control mechanisms quickly become complicated for the small gains in
                performance. I think at planing speeds a bow board should be raised.

                Nels
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jhargrovewright2@..."