Re: Paulsboat, new michalak design

  • CHARLES
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 6:49 AM
      Shame!

    • okiebobby@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2013
        Well I strayed, but I'm back to Caroline again.

        I'm taking measurements to determine if an 18' boat will sit on the 17.5' trailer I recently acquired, and still fit in my 20' garage without too many modifications to the boat, trailer, or garage. Amazingly it all fits, but with no room for error.

        I'm prone to error, and I really think an 18' boat is too much for me; so I'm trying to determine how much smaller to go. Jim Michalak was generous enough to reply to an email I sent him a few months back. In that email I mentioned building at 95%. He didn't foresee much of a problem building the boat at 95%. If I recall correctly, he mentioned I may need to watch a little more carefully how the chines line up.

        Well 95% should just fit on the trailer and in the garage with a small, but reasonable margin of error to spare. Now I still need to determine how much boat I really want.

        P.S. Oh I really do love the plans for Caroline. Not just the boat, but the plans as plans go, are superb. Very easy for a chump like myself to comprehend from multiple planning perspectives.

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "CHARLES" <chuckpierce@...> wrote:

        > Shame!
        >
        > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "okiebobby@" <okiebobby@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I feel like such a boat slut, and I blame Paul Moffitt & Jim Michalak.
        > >
        > > Three months ago I was on track and dedicated to a relationship building a Caroline. I switched jobs and have had to put the build on hold. Occasionally I get a chance to boat dream while waiting for enough free time to get building.
        > >
        > > Yesterday I strayed, and ordered plans for Paulsboat. Caroline, please forgive me. It's not you, it's me.
        > >
        > > signed, sleepless in OKC.
        > >

        > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "thatmoffitt" <thatmoffitt@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi
        > > > You can follow the prototype build of the jim michalak designed "paulsboat" at
        > > > http://paulsboats.wordpress.com/
        > > > plans won't be available until the prototype is no longer a prototype. I hope to have it at the eastern messabout June1-3. Please do not write jim to try to get him to sell you plans because they are still being worked on.
        > > > Paul

      • Rob Kellock
        Message 3 of 14 , May 12, 2013
          My Philsboat is 14'5" and it should be 15'. This came about because I couldn't find 8ft 1/2 inch plywood, so I bought 2.4m 12mm instead. The sides specify 8ft 1/4 inch plywood and that was available. It was only when I began to scarf the plywood together that I realised the bottom plywood sheet wasn't going to be long enough. What to do?

          I chopped the central part of the boat out on the plans lengthwise, but kept the width and height dimensions the same. The end result is that my Philsboat is slightly fatter than it should be for its length and has a bit more rocker too. The only impact on the build was the bilge panels. I cut them to the plan measurements, but because I had changed the boat's rocker, they were now too flat. If I had read Jim's book before the build rather than after it, I would have known to overcut them anyway and I wouldn't have had a problem!

          The end result is a boat I'm quite happy with. It still sails pretty well, but, the only way I would know for sure that my changes have had no impact would be to sail in another Philsboat, built exactly to plan.

          So anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I reckon you'll be fine going 95%, just beware the bilge panels.

          Cheers,

          Rob.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2013
            Rob, thanks for the tip. I really like your Lovely Duckling and your youtube videos. I've been watching them a lot lately to get some perspective on coach space. Curious what the interior L x W x H dimensions are on your boat. I also am wondering what type of slot top cover to go with.