Re: [Michalak] Fiberglas Butt Joints

  • Carl Volkwein
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30 11:40 AM
      Yes, all the way to the chine.

      ________________________________
      From: alan enlow <alan.enlow@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:05 PM
      Subject: Re: [Michalak] Fiberglas Butt Joints

      I understand that the main problen in the FG joint is flipping it over to glass the otherside. I have read that the joint is somewhat fragile until both sides are glassed and care must be used while flipping. I am buillding a piragau ( Uncle John's) using your technique of a plywood buttstrap inside and FG outside. Do you run the cloth all the way to the chine since you will glass the chines anyway?

      Alan

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30 4:16 PM
        I built my 17' pirogue using ply butt straps on the inside only and no tape on the other.It's held up well these last 5 yrs My ONLY complaint is the "flat spot" in the hull's curve.

        -Sigurd Olson

        ________________________________
        I understand that the main problen in the FG joint is flipping it over to glass the otherside. I have read that the joint is somewhat fragile until both sides are glassed and care must be used while flipping. I am buillding a piragau ( Uncle John's) using your technique of a plywood buttstrap inside and FG outside. Do you run the cloth all the way to the chine since you will glass the chines anyway?

        Alan

        This is considered to be "industry standard", invented by Dynamite
        Payson.

        http://www.instantboats.com/gbj/index.html

        I prefer a hybrid way 1X4 or plywood plate on the inside and glassing
        only the outside.

        Nels

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Carl Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

        > What's the best way to make a plywood but joint out of fiberglass?

      • John Trussell
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30 4:43 PM
          What follows is not original, but it worked for me. Get a heavy duty plastic
          drop cloth and cut two pieces about a foot wide And 6" wider than you are
          [planning to join. Put a piece of plastic on your work surface. Put a length
          of FG tape over that. Wet the tape out with resin. Put the two pieces being
          joined over the tape. Put a second piece of tape over the joint and wet it
          out with resin. Put a piece of plastic over the tape; cover it with a piece
          of wood wider than the tape, and drive several screws through the wood and
          plywood into your work surface. Wait a day for the resin to cure, pull the
          screws, peel off the plastic, and you have a completed fg butt joint'

          You will probably have to do some sanding and filling.

          A piece of [plywood or particle board on a pair of saw horses makes a decent
          work surface,

          Have fun.

          JohnT

          _____

          From: prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@... <mailto:nelsarv%40hotmail.com> >
          To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 6:29 PM

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> , Carl
          Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

          > What's the best way to make a plywood but joint out of fiberglass?

        • Andrew Wallace
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30 9:43 PM
            John,
            It worked for me too.
            As a raw beginner, and wanting to learn to use epoxy resins, I built a Bolger 'Featherwind' and more recently a Michalak 'Toto'. For both boats I used the method you describe below to join the panels. Was a bit doubtful at first about the strength of the resulting butt joint, but having now tested at least a dozen samples from both boats I have no worries about the integrity of the joints. Tested in the vice, it was the ply at the side of the joint which eventually broke - in every case. Never the butt joint itself. I'm convinced.
            And as for learning to use the epoxies - I'm ok with it now, but haven't yet learned to properly control the mess. Still have to build the rig and a pair of oars for the Featherwind, and 'Toto' is awaiting her first coat of primer. Would like to have her in the water within 2-3 weeks, hopefully before the start of the Autumn gales.
            Andrew.
            (New Zealand).

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com

            From: prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@... <mailto:nelsarv%40hotmail.com> >

            To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>

            Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 6:29 PM

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30 11:44 PM
              This may help visualise it better.Just scroll down a bit.    http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/skiff/skiff.htm

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________

              From: prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@... <mailto:nelsarv%40hotmail.com> >
              To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 6:29 PM

              This is considered to be "industry standard", invented by Dynamite
              Payson.

              http://www.instantboats.com/gbj/index.html

              I prefer a hybrid way 1X4 or plywood plate on the inside and glassing
              only the outside.

              Nels

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com> , Carl
              Volkwein <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

              > What's the best way to make a plywood but joint out of fiberglass?

            • alan enlow
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
                What weight of FG cloth for a 1/4 inch plywood sides and bottom?

                From: prairiedog2332 <nelsarv@... <mailto:nelsarv%40hotmail.com> >
                To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>
                Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 6:29 PM