Re: [Michalak] Re: Luan Ply

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 2, 2003
      > Ok,,I knew that it had to be protected from the UV rays, as do we
      > all. I did not know about it's heat sensitivity. How about using
      > polyester resins? These are what I used on the last three. I know
      > it is more brittle than epoxy but never compared the two for other
      > things.

      Probably the biggest difference between the two (outside of the fact that
      poly smells awful) is the adhesion. Epoxy will stick to wood about 10 times
      better than polyester. That said, you have to ask: " how much is enough?"
      If Polyester is strong enough for your design and use, then use that.
      Personally, I find the smell and difficulty of measuring Poly enough to keep
      me away from it.

      Chuck
    • techteach3991 <cm_davis@hotmail.com>
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 4, 2003
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Bachmann" <edbz@h...> wrote:
        > >I use the silica for thickener for gluing, not for fillets. When
        filleting,
        > >always apply the tape to a soft fillet. That way there is no
        need to sand
        > >in between those application. I fillet, then tape in one
        operation.

        > >I use polyester body filler (Bondo) to smooth out taped seams.
        That way
        > >sanding is easy. The secret is to apply the body filler while
        the epoxy is
        > >still tacky so that the epoxy sticks to the filler. I have never
        had it
        > >fall out or separate.
        >
        > Raka also sells glass bubbles. It makes a great filler for fillets
        and for smooth coats and fairing. These fillets seem as strong as
        wood flour and is much easier to sand and smooth. I usually stick
        some silica in for fillets too to make it thicker - it still sands
        easily.

        In the past, I've used cabosil and micro baloons 50-50. Very
        strong, but a serious pain to sand. Of course I was using polyester
        resin too. I guess that is part of the reason also.