  • Carl
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
      I was wondering if it would be OK to build a small boat with 1\2 inch consturction grade plywood, if I used epoxy and fiberglass on the outside?
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
        Carl,
        How big is your boat? I'm thinking you might end up with a pretty heavy
        boat using it, but will probably work. Do you have MDO available in your
        area? See my previous post.

        Nels
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <carlvolkwein@...> wrote:

        > I was wondering if it would be OK to build a small boat with 1\2 inch
        consturction grade plywood, if I used epoxy and fiberglass on the
        outside?

      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
          Carl,

          Well, some of that can be pretty lousy. The surface is rough and
          voids pervasive. That will infect the substantial money you'll pay
          for epoxy and glass.

          One version of ACX I've found to be cheap boat worthy, if you can
          find it, is the Arauco Chilean Pine. It saws much more nicely than
          fir and the decent surface finishes easily. What I've used had no
          voids. About the only drawback is that the sheets do tend to curl and
          twist a bit, so need to be picked carefully. Not available at the big
          boxes, rather at some good sized commercial lumber yards.

          Here, they feature sustainability.
          http://www.araucoply.com/informacion2.asp?
          Submenu=1514&cat=0&fin=0&idioma=44

          Mark

          On Mar 28, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Carl wrote:

          > I was wondering if it would be OK to build a small boat with 1\2
          > inch consturction grade plywood, if I used epoxy and fiberglass on
          > the outside?

        • Andres Espino
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
            Here is a good place to mention Jeff Spira whose site produces mostly Dory and Sgharpie plans.  His unique thing is that his plans are drawn to the dimensions of lumberyard lumber and he discusses the use of it in his free boat building ebooks on this page..
            http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_free.html

            This topic has been discussed a lot in different groups and the consensus l;ately is that almost all exterior grade ply uses the same waterproof glues these days.  The main difference between EXT construction and marine ply has always been the number of voids (holes where knots fell out in the inside laminations) and plugs (those football shaped patches that fill the outside ones.

            Bryan Lowe reported on his build of Escargot this problem with Marine Ply back in 2000...

            April 8, 2000 – I can’t believe how
            bad wood has gotten.   Unbelievable.  The AA grade Marine plywood the
            sent me is filled with voids and plugs and putty.  One sheet has 12
            fills.  I complained and they said look around, that is what is
            available.  So I did… and found that he is close to right.   His stock
            was probably the left overs in the stack… but industry standards now
            allow up to 20!!!! fill plugs per side.  Amazing… and each sheet is
            about $45.    The 3/8 inch ply is proving so tough to get that I will
            keep his stuff… sigh.  The half inch only goes on the bottom and will be covered with fiberglass fabric… so the fill plugs shouldn’t be a big
            deal.. .. I am not sure though.

            Most home build plans allow that top grade A/B or A/C is close to marine quality.

            Andrew

            I was wondering if it would be OK to build a small boat with 1\2 inch consturction grade plywood, if I used epoxy and fiberglass on the outside?

          • john colley
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 29, 2013
              Jeff's ebooks are great.I have downloaded and printed them.Also his Huntington harbour Kayak i hope to build soon.

              -Sigurd Olson