LEEBOARDS...Re: [Michalak] Two leeboards for the ladybug?

  • graeme
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 26, 2013
      Lift and/or leeway prevention of the foil/keel depends its characteristics of size, aspect ratio, coefficient of lift, angle of attack, and speed. So, the faster the sailboat the smaller the underwater foil required to have the same lift - within reason, other variables not withstanding - this may mean a boat with a large sail can get away with a smaller board, and that with a smaller sail it might need a larger board. A larger board of equivalent design except for size incurs more drag. What applies here to boards applies to rudder foils too.

      Downwind courses don't require as much lift, or even none, from the board as courses to windward. Also, raising the board moves the clr aft relative to the coe such that rudder input and so its drag is less too.

      Graeme

      Message 44 of 44 , May 21, 2013
        Great information John Boy and thanks for sharing. The bronze ring and
        larger blocks I will certainly take into consideration and ain't the
        truckers hitch a great knot?

        Nels
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

        > I've only sailed lug rigs and LOM's and I returned home yesterday from
        the FL120. Â My wife and I sailed our Normsboat about 150 miles over
        five days. Â We went a day early to get a little more sailing in
        before the event. Â We built Happy Adventure in a hurry starting in
        mid February and finishing up, really stopped building, about two weeks
        ago. Â Oil base paint takes awhile to dry you know. Â We borrowed
        the 16 foot mast from my PDGoose, the 91 sqft lug and LOM mizzen from
        Looney Toon, our Toon2.

        > Here's how I do it. Â On my yard I've lashed a 1 1/2 inch bronze
        ring that I pass my halyard through and then clip it on the front of the
        yard. Â For my downhaul I use a trucker's hitch. Â My main is
        polytarp and three years old and pretty much blown out so I had to add a
        vang to try to get some tension in the leech. Â The sucker flapped
        the whole trip. Â Anyway, something to consider is getting some
        larger blocks for the sheets. Â I've been using small Racelite blocks
        from Duckworks. Â They work fine but a friend of mine was parting out
        an old beach cat and gave me a bucket of old blocks. Â A little Reel
        Magic spray and they were as good as new. Â Much faster and less work
        when a gust hits you.

        > I have yet to add jiffy reefing to it. Â One of these days I will.
        Â On HA's first sail we managed to survive winds 25G35 with no reef.
        Â Maybe that's why my main is stretched out. ;)

        > BTW the Normsboat is best described as a baby Dovekie. Â Mine's
        modified in a couple of ways. Â First to the cockpit, I added 6
        inches to the cockpit length and a two foot deep bridge deck. Â I
        opted to leave off the motor well. Â Later on I'll add a trolling
        motor for getting in and out of the landing. Â