Re: LEEBOARDS...Re: [Michalak] Two leeboards for the ladybug?

  • John Boy
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 25, 2013
      Nope Andrew the leeboard hangs vertically.  It act like an offset centerboard but with the profile and pivoting characteristics of a dagger board.  My Toon2 turns on a dime.

      BTW Chapelle describes them in his American Small Sailing Craft in use on scows.
      John Boy

      I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/

      Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

      ________________________________
      Message 44 of 44 , May 21 11:16 AM
        Great information John Boy and thanks for sharing. The bronze ring and
        larger blocks I will certainly take into consideration and ain't the
        truckers hitch a great knot?

        Nels
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy wrote:

        > I've only sailed lug rigs and LOM's and I returned home yesterday from
        the FL120. Â My wife and I sailed our Normsboat about 150 miles over
        five days. Â We went a day early to get a little more sailing in
        before the event. Â We built Happy Adventure in a hurry starting in
        mid February and finishing up, really stopped building, about two weeks
        ago. Â Oil base paint takes awhile to dry you know. Â We borrowed
        the 16 foot mast from my PDGoose, the 91 sqft lug and LOM mizzen from
        Looney Toon, our Toon2.

        > Here's how I do it. Â On my yard I've lashed a 1 1/2 inch bronze
        ring that I pass my halyard through and then clip it on the front of the
        yard. Â For my downhaul I use a trucker's hitch. Â My main is
        polytarp and three years old and pretty much blown out so I had to add a
        vang to try to get some tension in the leech. Â The sucker flapped
        the whole trip. Â Anyway, something to consider is getting some
        larger blocks for the sheets. Â I've been using small Racelite blocks
        from Duckworks. Â They work fine but a friend of mine was parting out
        an old beach cat and gave me a bucket of old blocks. Â A little Reel
        Magic spray and they were as good as new. Â Much faster and less work
        when a gust hits you.

        > I have yet to add jiffy reefing to it. Â One of these days I will.
        Â On HA's first sail we managed to survive winds 25G35 with no reef.
        Â Maybe that's why my main is stretched out. ;)

        > BTW the Normsboat is best described as a baby Dovekie. Â Mine's
        modified in a couple of ways. Â First to the cockpit, I added 6
        inches to the cockpit length and a two foot deep bridge deck. Â I
        opted to leave off the motor well. Â Later on I'll add a trolling
        motor for getting in and out of the landing. Â