Re: Steve's Mayfly 14 Build

  • TomH
    Message 1 of 97 , Mar 25, 2013
      For next time ;)

      Passing on other people's wisdom -- read somewhere a clever trick about mixing 'difficult to wet out' additives into epoxy

      To save pot life - incorporate the additive into the resin before adding the hardener. That way it can be easier to get wet it to out properly without having to hurry it. Then add the hardener and off to the races.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, John Boy <t1ro2003@...> wrote:

      > I graphited for the first time last night.  I put three honking plastic spoonfuls in six pumps of goo (Raka 2-1 poxy).  It'll clump so I spooned-stirred, spooned-stirred, spooned-stirred, and finally stirred the chit out of it.  Applied one coat in the dim light of the garage, turned out as black as my heart.  It was a one shot deal, glassed, waited three hours, and graphited.  I have a couple of bubbles to cut out on the chines but over all, it's done.
      > John Boy
      >

      > I have a blog!  http://toon2sailor.blogspot.com/
      >
      > “Seaward ho! Hang the treasure! It's the glory of the sea that has turned my head.”
      >
      > Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

    • a5eptfyqmknybj3jibe7uwk5g55zy4zjkp7nlte7
      Message 97 of 97 , Oct 13
        Hi Steve,

        Its been a few months since I cut out my side panels but I had some issues (maybe similar) as well.  Turns out that I missed a note on the plans about the placement of the line that meets the transom.  Something like most stations were 24" apart except that transom station that was shorter, perhaps 20".  Unfortunately don't have the plans in front of me so I can't tell you exactly.

        Of course this might be unrelated to your situation.  I did not find my mistake until I began measuring to see if I had enough space to draw out the aft bulkhead and transom as shown on the plywood cut out diagram. Luckily I didn't cut out the side panels yet so I was able to correct.  I learned a lesson from this.

        Best of luck.