Re: [Michalak] Re: TBIII

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 23, 2013
      Titebond III may not be "waterproof," but the "water resistant" tests it
      passes are pretty rigorous. Titebond III is a "Type I" glue and Titebond
      II is a "Type II" glue. The below is from Titebond literature:

      "What is the difference between the ANSI/HPVA Type I and Type II
      water-resistance specification?

      "Both of these tests are conducted using 6” by 6” birch laminates glued
      together to make three-ply plywood. The test for Type I is clearly more
      stringent than Type II, and involves boiling the glue bonds and testing the
      specimens while they are wet.

      "Type I testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 1" by 3"
      specimens, boiling them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a 145°F
      oven for 20 hours. They are boiled for an additional 4 hours, then
      immediately cooled using running water. The specimens are sheared while
      wet, and the bonds must pass certain strength and wood failure
      requirements to pass the Type I specification.

      "Type II testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 2" by 5"
      specimens, soaking them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a
      120°F oven for 19 hours. This is repeated for a total of three cycles, and
      the
      bonds must not delaminate to pass the Type II specification."

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      The louder he talks of honour, the faster we count our spoons. (Ralph
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 24, 2013
        I use Titebond III on tight joints that I can clamp or use screws & GelMagic epoxy where there is any non perfect fits or voids. I use fasteners when I can, usually not on spars. So far I haven't had a joint fail but then, I never boiled a boat.

        ________________________________
        Titebond III may not be "waterproof," but the "water resistant" tests it
        passes are pretty rigorous. Titebond III is a "Type I" glue and Titebond
        II is a "Type II" glue. The below is from Titebond literature:

        "What is the difference between the ANSI/HPVA Type I and Type II
        water-resistance specification?

        "Both of these tests are conducted using 6” by 6” birch laminates glued
        together to make three-ply plywood. The test for Type I is clearly more
        stringent than Type II, and involves boiling the glue bonds and testing the
        specimens while they are wet.

        "Type I testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 1" by 3"
        specimens, boiling them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a 145°F
        oven for 20 hours. They are boiled for an additional 4 hours, then
        immediately cooled using running water. The specimens are sheared while
        wet, and the bonds must pass certain strength and wood failure
        requirements to pass the Type I specification.

        "Type II testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 2" by 5"
        specimens, soaking them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a
        120°F oven for 19 hours. This is repeated for a total of three cycles, and
        the
        bonds must not delaminate to pass the Type II specification."

        On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:53:03 -0700, john c wrote:

        > i think the issue with pva glues, whether 1,2,or 3 is that they are
        > water based and soluable if soaked for long periods.I guiess the label
        > 1,2,and three just indicates how much more water resistant it is.Sure
        > build your boat out of solluable glue.It will be fine untill it gets wet
        > for too long.Until then? its fine.

        --
        John (mailto:jkohnen%40boat-links.com)