Philsboat Photos

  • Rob Kellock
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
      Somebody on the shore, took some very good quality photos of my wife and I participating in a Classic Boat regatta at Lake Hood, Ashburton, New Zealand.

      You can see them here:

      Recently, we've been talking about how well Jim's boats sail. I think you can see that in these photos, the way the boat is positioned and moving through the water.

      The entire photo collection is here ( https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yl62pzkc291rw3p/MigDbuYDcz ) for a short time.

      Cheers,

      Rob.
    • patrickofwellington
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
        Great pictures, any chance you know what the gaff rigged cat yawl with the white lapestrake sides and blue coach roof is?

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
          Rob,

          I must confess I had a lot of chuckles reviewing those photos wondering
          what some folks thought! So we now have a Michalak boat that qualifies
          as a "classic" in NZ? One thing I noticed is how relaxed you both
          looked. Also it occurred to me was wondering how many of the other boats
          could do this?

          /406284709/pic/157713104/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&cou\
          nt=20&dir=asc>

          In case the link doesn't work it shows a photo of "The Lovely Duckling"
          tipped over on it's beam ends and shipping not a drop of water. In fact
          how many of those others with shallow draft can recover from a
          knock-down at all without maybe having some recovery issues?

          Nels

          wrote:

          > Somebody on the shore, took some very good quality photos of my wife
          and I participating in a Classic Boat regatta at Lake Hood, Ashburton,
          New Zealand.

          > You can see them here:

          Album Philsboat - The Lovely Duckling.

          > Recently, we've been talking about how well Jim's boats sail. I think
          you can see that in these photos, the way the boat is positioned and
          moving through the water.

          > The entire photo collection is here (
          https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yl62pzkc291rw3p/MigDbuYDcz ) for a short
          time.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Rob.

        • Rob Kellock
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
            That boat was found anchored off Picton in a state of disrepair about six years ago by the current owner. He then spent the next five years restoring her. She's immaculate. Only 14ft LOD, she's a keeler thought to have been built in the 1940's for fishing in Cook Strait, a notoriously rough stretch of water, but not much else is known about her. The owner told me he needs more than 3 ft of water to float her! She came last in the regatta, but it would be a different story if our task had been to cross Cook Strait.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
              Not really. Problem is we don't have a great tradition of messabout home building in NZ, like you do in North America, so there are no local groups to join. The Classic Boat club, is the closest thing I've found, so I "invited" myself along. When I arrived I noticed about three Welsfords and a Drascombe, so they're not all classics. Difference is Welsfords and Drascombes look the part. Michalak boats definitely don't!

              > Rob,
              >
              > I must confess I had a lot of chuckles reviewing those photos wondering
              > what some folks thought! So we now have a Michalak boat that qualifies
              > as a "classic" in NZ?
            • john colley
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
                great photos.Did i see a Hartley ts16 in that lot? lol

                -Sigurd Olson

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
                  Yes. Not really a classic boat either. In fact, when I come to think about it, probably half the boats there weren't classics! The Hartley 16 and I were very similar in performance. I was able to easily pass him downwind and he was slightly better upwind.