RE: [Michalak] Re: Back In The Day...

  • John Trussell
    Message 1 of 88 , Mar 16 8:07 AM
      Most any sail rig can be made to work. I've had a variety of boats rigged a
      variety of sail plans and they all gave satisfaction. As an old man, I want
      a small boat with great stability. I ended up choosing between Bolger's Old
      Shoe (cat Yawl using leg of mutton sails and sprit booms) and Scamp (using a
      balanced lug rig). Bolger says that Old Shoe has his favorite rig for
      daysailing. Mike O'Brien says a balanced lug is the best of all rigs for
      small boats. Probably neither rig is very fast, but with a 12 ft
      displacement hull, speed is not a consideration. In the end, I decided to go
      with the Scamp (mostly to avoid messing with a keel casting). Either boat
      and either rig would have worked for me.

      My experience has been that the biggest variable in sailing speed is the
      person sailing.

      JohnT

      _____

      Message 88 of 88 , Mar 21 4:38 AM
        A small cooler with ice and drinks, an empty porta potti, and a canister
        with flares.

        _____