Re: [Michalak] Outboard questions

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
      If you've got a NAPA auto parts store nearby go in there and look at their
      outboard parts catalog. NAPA sells most of the Sierra stuff, though your
      local store may have to order what you need. I haven't looked recently,
      but NAPA may have an online catalog:

      http://www.napaonline.com/

      The Sierra pages don't seem to be much good without an OMC parts book, and
      the numbers in your original parts list may have changed since then:

      http://preview.tinyurl.com/a2wm8ef

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      The trouble with the school of experience is that the graduates are too
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
        Thanks for the info. Another question: the outboard I bought used came
        with a few unused impellers; that isn't to say new, but never installed or
        used... they look pretty good. I'm just not certain how old they are; they
        don't seem to be brittle or anything, I'm just wondering if it's generally
        a bad idea to use an impeller of uncertain age - Max's book really hits
        hard the importance of not just going with the one that's in there since
        you don't know what condition it's in, I'm just not sure if installing an
        unused one that seems to be in good shape--but who knows how old it is--is
        a bad idea... Thanks!

        On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM, John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...>wrote:

        > If you've got a NAPA auto parts store nearby go in there and look at their
        > outboard parts catalog. NAPA sells most of the Sierra stuff, though your
        > local store may have to order what you need. I haven't looked recently,
        > but NAPA may have an online catalog:
        >
        > http://www.napaonline.com/
        >
        > The Sierra pages don't seem to be much good without an OMC parts book, and
        > the numbers in your original parts list may have changed since then:
        >
        > http://preview.tinyurl.com/a2wm8ef
        >
        > On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:20:28 -0700, Curran wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all, I've started looking around for outboard parts and am not sure
        > > how
        > > to go about making sure I'm buying parts that are specific to my motor.
        > > I've found a lot of stuff on ebay and amazon from searches like "sierra
        > > johnson carb kit" or "sierra johnson ignition" but I don't know how to
        > > figure out if the things I'm seeing on offer are specific to my model;
        > > they
        > > usually have a # 18-70xx model number for Sierra, but I don't know what
        > > model # I'm looking for. I did find an original parts list with parts
        > > numbers, but a search for the numbers it gives produces higher priced
        > > vintage parts... How do I determine if the part I'm seeing is compatible?
        >
        > --
        > John (jkohnen@...)
        > The trouble with the school of experience is that the graduates are too
        > old to go to work. (Henry Ford)

        Curran Bishop
        1005 W. Willow St.
        Carbondale, IL 62901
        cell: 707.278.6710
        http://thebishopspulpit.tk

        " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
        'er we try the depth of sea,
        egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
        unless Thou her helmsman be."
        -- Old Scottish Prayer

      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
          If the impellers still look shinyish black, are smooth and don't have any
          surface cracks or crazing, and feel resilient, then I wouldn't have qualms
          about using them. Be sure to install the new impeller the right way around
          (look at the old one before you take it out.

          What is this motor, or motors? Johnson, Evinrude and Gale (made many
          "store brand" motors) motors from the postwar era at least well into the
          '60s had "bad" coils that would fail after "only" several decades. You can
          usually tell if they're bad by looking to see if they have cracked
          insulation. The motor may run OK with cracked coils, but it won't for
          long... The coils from Sierra (and through NAPA) are made in Germany and
          should last longer. Many old motors have already had the coils replaced
          mit the German ones, so you may have got lucky. <g>

          On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:23:47 -0700, Curran wrote:

          > Thanks for the info. Another question: the outboard I bought used came
          > with a few unused impellers; that isn't to say new, but never installed
          > or
          > used... they look pretty good. I'm just not certain how old they are;
          > they
          > don't seem to be brittle or anything, I'm just wondering if it's
          > generally
          > a bad idea to use an impeller of uncertain age

          John (jkohnen@...)
          He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into hamburgers.
          (Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway)