Re: Motorsailers Revisted

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
      After reflecting on this subject for some time it suddenly occurred to
      me that a design that has the water ballast option is the best way to
      go. DOH!

      Traditionally motorsailers have a small sail plan to compensate for
      their lack of ballast when in motoring mode, which would mean dragging
      weight that just burns more gas. So that brought me back the ballast
      bags like used on wake boats to increase the size of the wake. So might
      be an idea with Twister, Fatcat2, or other designs that motor well but
      don't have water ballast as a part of the overall design to hold up a
      larger sailplan when in sailing mode. So a ballast bag under the bridge
      deck that is easily filled when wanting to sail and then emptied when
      wanting to motor or to sleep to allow the foot space under the bridge
      deck might be an option and worth the investment. Located amidships
      might help keep the transom from dragging under sail and the crew can
      relax in the upwind cockpit seat and keep the bow up going downwind. Of
      course an option to consider after trying with no ballast as designed.

      http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-bags?gclid=CITMj-OE9rUCFVSVM\
      godiloAUw

      This might do the job for $60

      http://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-big-bag-150-ballast-bag.html

      Ideally add the cost of a pump for about another $100

      http://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-sumo-pump.html