Re: [Michalak] Re: Building plywood Boats...Cross Post

  • Martin Houston
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
      Also light glass goes around corners much easier & lays flatter. Better 2 layers of light than 1 of heavy.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013
        I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and other things.Excellent read>

        -Sigurd Olson

        ________________________________
        Jeff Spira also has 3 free eBooks about making plywood boats but his designs are mostly dories..  They are great books and he has some videos also

        http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_free.html

        Andrew

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
          Just an observation but I don't see any obvious to me advantages to
          these methods over the Michalak/Payson build books.

          Their books do not require any building jigs, frames nor stringers -
          just the bulkheads - which become a part of the boat and provide the
          flotation or shelter. Maybe an additional temporary bulkhead at the
          widest part of the hull that can be re-used to make the rudder and
          leeboard. Less solid lumber framing, less sawing and less weight in the
          final product.

          And Payson shows not even requiring holes in the panels for ties in his
          tack and tape method. Just some tacks (small nails) and masking or duct
          tape to hold the panels in place prior to sealing the seams with goop.
          Plus a temporary "Spanish windlass" to close up the ends and maybe a
          temporary brace to hold them. But his designs use 1/4" plywood which
          allows for easy bends. His second last build book is still a classic in
          my mind. As are all his writings which is what got this whole thing
          going along with the drawing genius of Phil Bolger

          http://www.instantboats.com/btnib.htm

          Not sure if Welsford's book has ever been available in North America.
          His writings and plans are awesome, but maybe more work to bring into
          reality. You end up with a classic whereas Jim's and Phil's are just
          plain "plain" for the most part by comparison.

          Nels

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

          > I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite
          informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the
          information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat
          builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came
          about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and
          other things.Excellent read>

          > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
          magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."