Re: [Michalak] Building plywood Boats...Cross Post

  • Andres Espino
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
      Jeff Spira also has 3 free eBooks about making plywood boats but his designs are mostly dories..  They are great books and he has some videos also

      http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_free.html

      Andrew

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
        Great Link Bill

        I think some builders like to use two layers of glass, one wider and
        then one narrower so the edges will be easier to be tapered flat. Also 2
        layers of lighter glass may be easier to wet out thoroughly than one
        layer of heavier glass. The chines tend to take the most abuse on a
        flat-bottomed hull. And I guess the shell mounds in Florida can be quite
        abusive.

        Nels
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bll" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

        > One of the best short instructions I've seen on how-to-build a plywood
        boat is one that Matt Layden's brother posted showing some messages and
        photos that Matt had sent him.

        > I know no other free example of great small boat workmanship, design,
        and construction using simple tools.

        > Since I have installed only one layer of fiberglass on the seams of
        the three boats I have built, I was quite amazed at the number and size
        of seam coverings that Matt installed. However, Matt has sailed his
        boats to the Bahamas, and in many Florida Everglade Challenges, whereby
        a small lake is a challenge to me!

        > If you have never read/seen this data, you might find it interesting
        as it shows how Matt designs and builds his boats.

        http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat2005.\
        htm

        > I have cross posted this message, as it might be of interest to
        different boating groups.

        > Bill Nolen
        >
        > OKC

      • Martin Houston
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
          Also light glass goes around corners much easier & lays flatter. Better 2 layers of light than 1 of heavy.

          ________________________________

          --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "Bll" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

          > One of the best short instructions I've seen on how-to-build a plywood
          boat is one that Matt Layden's brother posted showing some messages and
          photos that Matt had sent him.

          > I know no other free example of great small boat workmanship, design,
          and construction using simple tools.

          > Since I have installed only one layer of fiberglass on the seams of
          the three boats I have built, I was quite amazed at the number and size
          of seam coverings that Matt installed. However, Matt has sailed his
          boats to the Bahamas, and in many Florida Everglade Challenges, whereby
          a small lake is a challenge to me!

          > If you have never read/seen this data, you might find it interesting
          as it shows how Matt designs and builds his boats.

          http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat2005.htm

          > I have cross posted this message, as it might be of interest to
          different boating groups.

          > Bill Nolen
          >
          > OKC

        • john colley
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013
            I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and other things.Excellent read>

            -Sigurd Olson

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
              Just an observation but I don't see any obvious to me advantages to
              these methods over the Michalak/Payson build books.

              Their books do not require any building jigs, frames nor stringers -
              just the bulkheads - which become a part of the boat and provide the
              flotation or shelter. Maybe an additional temporary bulkhead at the
              widest part of the hull that can be re-used to make the rudder and
              leeboard. Less solid lumber framing, less sawing and less weight in the
              final product.

              And Payson shows not even requiring holes in the panels for ties in his
              tack and tape method. Just some tacks (small nails) and masking or duct
              tape to hold the panels in place prior to sealing the seams with goop.
              Plus a temporary "Spanish windlass" to close up the ends and maybe a
              temporary brace to hold them. But his designs use 1/4" plywood which
              allows for easy bends. His second last build book is still a classic in
              my mind. As are all his writings which is what got this whole thing
              going along with the drawing genius of Phil Bolger

              http://www.instantboats.com/btnib.htm

              Not sure if Welsford's book has ever been available in North America.
              His writings and plans are awesome, but maybe more work to bring into
              reality. You end up with a classic whereas Jim's and Phil's are just
              plain "plain" for the most part by comparison.

              Nels

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

              > I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite
              informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the
              information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat
              builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came
              about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and
              other things.Excellent read>

              > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
              magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."