Building plywood Boats...Cross Post

  • Bll
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
      One of the best short instructions I've seen on how-to-build a plywood boat is one that Matt Layden's brother posted showing some messages and photos that Matt had sent him.

      I know no other free example of great small boat workmanship, design, and construction using simple tools.

      Since I have installed only one layer of fiberglass on the seams of the three boats I have built, I was quite amazed at the number and size of seam coverings that Matt installed. However, Matt has sailed his boats to the Bahamas, and in many Florida Everglade Challenges, whereby a small lake is a challenge to me!

      If you have never read/seen this data, you might find it interesting as it shows how Matt designs and builds his boats.

      http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat2005.htm

      I have cross posted this message, as it might be of interest to different boating groups.

      Bill Nolen

      OKC
    • Andres Espino
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
        Jeff Spira also has 3 free eBooks about making plywood boats but his designs are mostly dories..  They are great books and he has some videos also

        http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_free.html

        Andrew

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
          Great Link Bill

          I think some builders like to use two layers of glass, one wider and
          then one narrower so the edges will be easier to be tapered flat. Also 2
          layers of lighter glass may be easier to wet out thoroughly than one
          layer of heavier glass. The chines tend to take the most abuse on a
          flat-bottomed hull. And I guess the shell mounds in Florida can be quite
          abusive.

          Nels
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Bll" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

          > One of the best short instructions I've seen on how-to-build a plywood
          boat is one that Matt Layden's brother posted showing some messages and
          photos that Matt had sent him.

          > I know no other free example of great small boat workmanship, design,
          and construction using simple tools.

          > Since I have installed only one layer of fiberglass on the seams of
          the three boats I have built, I was quite amazed at the number and size
          of seam coverings that Matt installed. However, Matt has sailed his
          boats to the Bahamas, and in many Florida Everglade Challenges, whereby
          a small lake is a challenge to me!

          > If you have never read/seen this data, you might find it interesting
          as it shows how Matt designs and builds his boats.

          http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat2005.\
          htm

          > I have cross posted this message, as it might be of interest to
          different boating groups.

          > Bill Nolen
          >
          > OKC

        • Martin Houston
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
            Also light glass goes around corners much easier & lays flatter. Better 2 layers of light than 1 of heavy.

            ________________________________

            --- In mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com, "Bll" <BGN5731@...> wrote:

            > One of the best short instructions I've seen on how-to-build a plywood
            boat is one that Matt Layden's brother posted showing some messages and
            photos that Matt had sent him.

            > I know no other free example of great small boat workmanship, design,
            and construction using simple tools.

            > Since I have installed only one layer of fiberglass on the seams of
            the three boats I have built, I was quite amazed at the number and size
            of seam coverings that Matt installed. However, Matt has sailed his
            boats to the Bahamas, and in many Florida Everglade Challenges, whereby
            a small lake is a challenge to me!

            > If you have never read/seen this data, you might find it interesting
            as it shows how Matt designs and builds his boats.

            http://physics.bgsu.edu/~layden/FunStuff/Boats/Matt_Boat/matts_boat2005.htm

            > I have cross posted this message, as it might be of interest to
            different boating groups.

            > Bill Nolen
            >
            > OKC

          • john colley
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2013
              I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and other things.Excellent read>

              -Sigurd Olson

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
                Just an observation but I don't see any obvious to me advantages to
                these methods over the Michalak/Payson build books.

                Their books do not require any building jigs, frames nor stringers -
                just the bulkheads - which become a part of the boat and provide the
                flotation or shelter. Maybe an additional temporary bulkhead at the
                widest part of the hull that can be re-used to make the rudder and
                leeboard. Less solid lumber framing, less sawing and less weight in the
                final product.

                And Payson shows not even requiring holes in the panels for ties in his
                tack and tape method. Just some tacks (small nails) and masking or duct
                tape to hold the panels in place prior to sealing the seams with goop.
                Plus a temporary "Spanish windlass" to close up the ends and maybe a
                temporary brace to hold them. But his designs use 1/4" plywood which
                allows for easy bends. His second last build book is still a classic in
                my mind. As are all his writings which is what got this whole thing
                going along with the drawing genius of Phil Bolger

                http://www.instantboats.com/btnib.htm

                Not sure if Welsford's book has ever been available in North America.
                His writings and plans are awesome, but maybe more work to bring into
                reality. You end up with a classic whereas Jim's and Phil's are just
                plain "plain" for the most part by comparison.

                Nels

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, john colley <Helliconia54@...> wrote:

                > I'll second that!,I have downloaded these bks and thay are quite
                informative.When I built my "stormbringer" (17ft pirogue) i used the
                information i found in John Welsford's book,The backyard boat
                builder".It describes the boats in his catalogue and how they came
                about, but in the first part of the book he talks of stitch and glue and
                other things.Excellent read>

                > "There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a
                magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."