Re: Polytarp Sails.

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
      I bought a 15'x20'POLYSAIL KIT, which comes with everything you need to build a lug main & mizzen for Hapscut or similar sized boat. It comes with a lug rope. I have to say the kit was pretty impressive since it has everything you need to build a "taped only" sail and cost about $132 including shipping. It took me about about 12 hours to cut, sew and rig both sails.

      Due to our strong coastal winds I elected to sew the seams on my home sewing machine and recommend using only spur grommets at every location. Our downhaul is a 4:1 purchase for keeping the luff tight in windy conditions.

      I am not fond of junk rigged sails due to the extra amount of work involved in all the battens. The simplicity of a home-built lug rig will be cheaper, faster to build, and easier to maintain. My other concern is the added weight of the battens aloft would make any small boat a little more tipsy.

      If you want the most versatile boat, sailboat & power boat, go with the Twister. It's very similar to Hapscut which we use as both a sailboat and a 4HP powerboat. The fore deck would be a good fishing platform, a small cabin for shade, keep the kids corralled and a cockpit for those great sunny days.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2013
        Thanks Dan and John. Very helpful info.

        I already have two white polytarps. One 20 x 20 and the other 20 x 28'
        but they are not as heavy as Dave now uses - only 3.5 oz supposedly. So
        thinking battens might add strength at reef points and then lazy jacks
        for quick reefing. Another reason is my daughter-in-law is from Beijing
        and she wants a junk sail:-)

        Nels