RE: [Michalak] Polytarp Sails.

  • daniel brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
      i'm using surtape df 550 carpet tape. i get it at lowes. i like it because its a little thicker than some i've seen, and it stays stuck. i've used it on 4 sails so far. two are dacron cut down sails and two are polytarp. i havent had to sew any of them yet. as for the leech, yes i guess i would imbed a 3/16" dacron line in the luff tape. i havent done a lug sail yet.

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: nelsarv@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:46:33 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Polytarp Sails.

      Anybody have a favourite double-sided sticky tape they prefer when
      making a polytarp sail? Also what is the preferred method to reinforce
      the leading edge (luff) of a lug sail? Jim uses 3" fiberglass tape
      folded in half inside the seam and suggests nylon webbing might work
      also. Some folks prefer a "bolt rope" of non-stretch line. Since it is
      critical to have the luff very taut for best upwind performance this has
      to be strong but not too thick so not disturb the air flow correct?

      Am thinking of making a junk sail for a Twister build to this design.

      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/howto/junkrig/index.htm

      The sail area is the same as Philsboat and costs $538 at DW plus
      shipping and duty! My son wants to use it for fishing mostly as a
      motorboat on the river. So I think Twister would allow one to see ahead
      better from the helm position than PB, yet have a shelter for the kids.
      And is interested in the sail option when out on the lake. But not $600
      interested:-)

    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
        I bought a 15'x20'POLYSAIL KIT, which comes with everything you need to build a lug main & mizzen for Hapscut or similar sized boat. It comes with a lug rope. I have to say the kit was pretty impressive since it has everything you need to build a "taped only" sail and cost about $132 including shipping. It took me about about 12 hours to cut, sew and rig both sails.

        Due to our strong coastal winds I elected to sew the seams on my home sewing machine and recommend using only spur grommets at every location. Our downhaul is a 4:1 purchase for keeping the luff tight in windy conditions.

        I am not fond of junk rigged sails due to the extra amount of work involved in all the battens. The simplicity of a home-built lug rig will be cheaper, faster to build, and easier to maintain. My other concern is the added weight of the battens aloft would make any small boat a little more tipsy.

        If you want the most versatile boat, sailboat & power boat, go with the Twister. It's very similar to Hapscut which we use as both a sailboat and a 4HP powerboat. The fore deck would be a good fishing platform, a small cabin for shade, keep the kids corralled and a cockpit for those great sunny days.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2013
          Thanks Dan and John. Very helpful info.

          I already have two white polytarps. One 20 x 20 and the other 20 x 28'
          but they are not as heavy as Dave now uses - only 3.5 oz supposedly. So
          thinking battens might add strength at reef points and then lazy jacks
          for quick reefing. Another reason is my daughter-in-law is from Beijing
          and she wants a junk sail:-)

          Nels