Re: Michalak Caroline

  • JeffreyM
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 2 2:18 PM
      Fascinating model, and beautifully made. Two questions occur to me. (I did not see the original conversation back in 2010, if there was one.) First, why the angled cabin front? It looks cool, but I think it robs cabin volume to no purpose. It would be uncomfortable to lean against except from the inside; a flat front would make a nice backrest both in and out. Second: why a front cockpit rather than a rear one? You couldn't sail the boat from the cockpit without pretty severe effects on trim, and a lot of controls would have to go forward in ways difficult to make practical. That means the helmsman is stuck in the cabin except at anchor. (I wish my Jewelbox Jr. had a tiny aft cockpit for just that reason.) Finally, having the cockpit aft of the cabin means you are much more out of the wind and spray. The one good thing I can think of with an aft cabin--and it's not a small thing--is that the boat would ride better at anchor with all that windage aft.

      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2 7:15 PM
        Checking to see if my heater is still in production, I found several
        others with that brand name (Martin). This model might be of interest to
        some. It uses butane canisters which do not work that well at higher
        altitudes and colder temps. Converts to a cooking grill apparently!

        http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/camping/heaters/30/infrared-heater-bdn-1\
        00/

        They also make a nice heater that has a thermostat.

        http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/camping/heaters/33/thermostat-heater/