Re: First brazilian Piccup Pram ?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 159 , Mar 1 3:49 PM
      Nels is right. Doing the second coat before the first has cured provides a chemical bond which is stronger and not just a mechanical bond.
      In addition to a stronger bond you save a tremendous amount of time not having to sand between coats and the subsequent mess that comes with it.
      I'd rather spend an extra hour masking an area off and prepping it, then three hours later on sanding it.

      Regards,
      Mike

      > Another idea for what Dynamite Payson referred to as "easing the joint"
      > so it is flush - or even open a bit - is a Japanese pull saw. Also when
      > applying an additional coating of epoxy do so while the previous coat is
      > still "green" - not fully hardened - for the best bond.
      > Some people go under the hull and apply some masking tape over the wider
      > cracks so the thickened epoxy filler will not drop through then apply
      > the filler. Sort of tacking it together with thickened epoxy, then a
      > coating of un-thickened epoxy along the bottom seam as far outside the
      > joint as the tape is wide (Draw lines either side the seam half the
      > width of the tape.) and immediately lay in the tape and snip off the
      > wires as you go along, then fill the weave. Best done with a helper.
      > Remove the masking tape while everything is still green.
      >

      > Nels
      >
      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <rudder59@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Andre
      > > Thanks.when I put the panels together I used a small disk sander with
      > 60 grit sand paper to fine tune those areas that didn't match up. What
      > was encouraging was that JM indicated that it was ok and actually helped
      > if you had some areas where there was a gap because the thickened epoxy
      > could fill in the gap and kind of wrap around the two panels for a
      > tighter joint.
      > > One lesson I learned was several thin layers of epoxy work better and
      > provide a stronger bond then a couple of thick layers.you get less
      > chance of air bubbles and less sanding if you take your time and apply
      > as clean as possible.
      > > Will post some more pictures next week after I get some more work
      > done.
      > > Regards
      > > Mike

    • John Boy
      Message 159 of 159 , Sep 1, 2013
        Thank you. For some reason, my Chrome browser stopped translating.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android