Re: First brazilian Piccup Pram ?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 159 , Feb 28, 2013
      Andre
      Thanks.when I put the panels together I used a small disk sander with 60 grit sand paper to fine tune those areas that didn't match up. What was encouraging was that JM indicated that it was ok and actually helped if you had some areas where there was a gap because the thickened epoxy could fill in the gap and kind of wrap around the two panels for a tighter joint.
      One lesson I learned was several thin layers of epoxy work better and provide a stronger bond then a couple of thick layers.you get less chance of air bubbles and less sanding if you take your time and apply as clean as possible.
      Will post some more pictures next week after I get some more work done.
      Regards
      Mike

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > Thank you very much. Clear as crystal. I must say that your job in the
      > boat is outstanding ! All panels match perfectly. Very impressive.
      >
      > I started thinking about names but nothing came up to my mind. I have to
      > find some source of inspiration. Maybe something popular here....
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > Andre.
      >

      > On 25-02-2013 23:45, Mike wrote:
      > >
      > > Andre,
      > > The second layer of fiberglass on the seams really stiffened up the
      > > entire hull.
      > >
      > > Also I had used sureply plywood which is slightly under 1/4 inch. I
      > > expressed some concern about that on the forum and Nels and several
      > > others gave me several options to consider one of which was to use
      > > thicker fiberglass cloth if I was going to cover the bottom to make up
      > > for the difference in the thickness. I used 10 oz fiberglass to make
      > > up for the difference in the thickness and I made sure that the boat
      > > was level as often as possible.Once the seams both inside and out
      > > cured it really stiffened up the hull. I left the boat upside down
      > > dropped the temporary form out, filled the screw holes in the bottom
      > > with resin and filler and then covered the entire bottom panel and
      > > most of the bilge panels with 1 piece of the 10oz fiberglass cloth and
      > > then left it to cure. I also modified the table it was on so that when
      > > it was upside down it was actually resting on two 2x4's that were
      > > short enough to fit inside the hull but long enough for both of the
      > > tops of bulkheads A and C to rest on and made sure that it was level.
      > >
      > > Once that cloth cured the hull was solid with no twist. I then put the
      > > knees in at the bow and stern and that really just locked everything
      > > together.
      > >
      > > I ripped the gunnels out of a twenty foot 2x6 so that their was plenty
      > > of flex in them at that length and only slight resistance when I
      > > attached the inner gunnel to the hull. I shimmed the hull level on the
      > > table with some old cedar shingles I had laying around just before
      > > putting the gunnels on and kept checking for level and twist as I went
      > > along.
      > >
      > > Hope that helps.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Michalak%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Andre Basso wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Mike,
      > > >
      > > > It's good to know that my humble blog has someway motivated you ! I'm a
      > > > collector of building pictures as a source of information and how to
      > > put
      > > > things together. Yours are awesome ! They motivated me back ! A very
      > > > complete set ! It's also fun to notice different technics and building
      > > > sequence among builders. By the way I have a question regarding your
      > > > sequence: it seems the temporary frame B was off when you laminated
> [...]
    • John Boy
      Message 159 of 159 , Sep 1, 2013
        Thank you. For some reason, my Chrome browser stopped translating.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android