Re: Michalak Caroline (As a motor cruiser)

    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 24, 2013
      The clay pot idea is worth considering for sure with any heat source as
      the clay is an excellent heat sink. One could attach a flue to the
      bottom hole and lead it out the top. Flexible SS tubing and a couple of
      clamps. One would have to get "crafty" to secure it is all. And could
      secure a one-burner camp stove below it>

      I also have the plans for the "Lenihan" heater that uses charcoal
      briquettes. Have the instructions filed away somewhere.

      Considering the Caroline model you referred to. It is a great
      modification. I would be concerned about what would happen if it
      flooded. Caroline as drawn would be much safer in my view. Also
      Caroline doesn't have the carrying capacity of DJ and I don't think
      would work well with a 9,8 OB - nor would DJ for that matter. Light
      displacement means that crew shifting position may upset the ability
      hold course.

      If wanting to carry weight I would look at a design with a wider
      bottom. which of course brings us back to the AF designs.

      Where I live (Canada) alcohol stoves don't perform all that well in cold
      weather. Per unit volume kerosene puts out the most btu's followed by
      white gas and then propane. I have a white gas catalytic heater as well
      that pumps out more heat than the SportCat but dealing with a liquid
      fuel not as convenient as propane cylinders. I also have a "Sea Cook"
      stove for cooking which uses the same propane bottle. Seems no longer
      available. Sea swing was the original - that used kerosene - and off the
      market for years.

      http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/10141/

      Thee classic!

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "jeffsprayer" <jeffsprayer@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Nels. Dani Jay is a good choice.
      >
      > Terry Lesh uses a clay potted SportCat:

      > The Coleman SportCat is cheaper to use than my ethanol heater. The
      need for ventilation is about the same. I wouldn't be concerned about
      sleeping with my ethanol heater on, given it was properly secured and
      ventilated. Is Coleman's warning about not sleeping with the SportCat
      lit based just on air supply? These days I doubt any manufacturer would
      okay it.

      > I share your point on moisture control over heat for comfort. I am
      happy at home in a t-shirt down to about 65 if I am dry. I used to keep
      an old work truck's interior dry with a 24hr light bulb burning. Just a
      little heat goes a long way. i wonder how well candle lanterns work?

      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2013
        Checking to see if my heater is still in production, I found several
        others with that brand name (Martin). This model might be of interest to
        some. It uses butane canisters which do not work that well at higher
        altitudes and colder temps. Converts to a cooking grill apparently!

        http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/camping/heaters/30/infrared-heater-bdn-1\
        00/

        They also make a nice heater that has a thermostat.

        http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/camping/heaters/33/thermostat-heater/